Mikkeller Green Gold IPA Inspired Brew - Peco BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spapro

Reaction score
My wife got me Mikkellers Book of Beer for Christmas. Nice book, good read about the history of their brewery and how they got started and 25 of their recipes, US Pale Ales, IPA's and Stouts heavily using American hops.

This brew is inspired by their Green Gold IPA recipe but the original recipe uses 6kg of grain to get to 7% ABV and uses Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, and Santiam.

I wanted something I could have a couple of pints of and use some half bags of hops from the freezer also. The grain bill uses the same grains and %'s as the originanl recipe just cut back to 5kg

Got the Peco boiler on at 7am. Here is my recipe:

3.8kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Caramunich 90EBC
0.5kg Munich 15EBC
0.5kg Flaked Oats

60 mins - 47g Chinook Leaf 12.7% (had in freezer a while)
60 mins - 15g Chinook Pellet 14% (had in freezer a while)
15 mins - 7g Cascade Leaf 7%
15 mins - 7g Simcoe Leaf 15.5%
15 mins - 7g Centennial Pellet 9.7%
0 mins - 7g Cascade Leaf 7%
0 mins - 7g Simcoe Leaf 15.5%
0 mins - 7g Centennial Pellet 9.7%
Dry hop at end of ferment for 4 days with 10g Cascade, 10g Simcoe, 10g Centennial
Yeast Safale S-04

I love a Hoppy pale ale so this should be great, should get me
87 IBUs bitterness
16 EBC colour
1050 SG

Flame out hops are now steeping at 78°C for 30 mins, need to chill down in 1 minute.

Here are some quick piccies:

WP_20160123_001.jpg

WP_20160123_003.jpg

WP_20160123_004.jpg

Well that sounds bloody great! I'll be interested to hear how this pans out (with view to nicking it!).

All finished.

Starting Gravity was 1049 so close enough. Pinch of yeast nutrient added and S-04 yeast pitched. Now off to see Tarantino's Hateful Eight at the cinema.

WP_20160123_005.jpg

WP_20160123_006.jpg

Only 2 weeks since bottling (and 2 x minikegs) but moved this from warm carbing up into the garage to cold condition yesterday. Still early days but sampled a bottle last night and this is looking like the best beer I have brewed. Already a nicely balanced hop profile and enough complexity to the maltiness to be interesting.

Nicely carbed with a great head and almost clear already.

Clearly quite bitter but if you like an IPA at 80-90ibu with a nicely balanced grain profile then this is well worth a try.

I didn't dry hop in the end, due to breaking my left thumb, I had to bottle/minikeg ahead of getting pot on my left hand.

Will give it a couple of weeks in the garage then post a piccie up of the finished pint.

hi spapro i am presuming this is a 23litre brew looking at your fv,gonna give this a go cheers lagerlad

hi spapro i am presuming this is a 23litre brew looking at your fv,gonna give this a go cheers lagerlad

Yes, 23litres in the FV. Well worth a try, its a very, very good IPA already and only been in the bottle 2 weeks.

thanks m* what abv you aiming for iwth the revised grainbill cheers

The original Green Gold recipe from the Mikkeller book uses 6kg of grain to get to 7% ABV and uses Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, and Santiam.

I scaled the grain back to 5kg, SG 1050, FG 1010 which gives around 5.1-5.2% ABV.

I scaled the hops back a bit as well using beersmith mobile app.

Great stuff, great write up. Sounds like an exciting beer there mate!
I've got my next brew planned but I'll be doing this one after that, albeit using Amarillo in place of centennial.

Great stuff, great write up. Sounds like an exciting beer there mate!
I've got my next brew planned but I'll be doing this one after that, albeit using Amarillo in place of centennial.

Cheers Darren, really pleased with this one, nicely balanced already but should be even better after a couple of weeks cold conditioning. Definately one I will brew again.

Considering one of the coffee stouts me thinks next from the Mikkeller book also. Again will scale the grain bill back to avoid 7-9% ABV !

This looks sensational - would you mind posting the original recipe? Might want to clone that at some point as a session IPA.

Cheers Darren, really pleased with this one, nicely balanced already but should be even better after a couple of weeks cold conditioning. Definately one I will brew again.

Considering one of the coffee stouts me thinks next from the Mikkeller book also. Again will scale the grain bill back to avoid 7-9% ABV !

I know what you mean mate, I've been itching to make one of his imperial stouts but the thought of having 40 odd bottles aging for a year then making my way through them at 10% abv is a serious commitment!
Exciting and inspiring recipes though.

This looks sensational - would you mind posting the original recipe? Might want to clone that at some point as a session IPA.

Eyup,

not sure on posting original recipes from books here, re: copyright.

If you take my recipe posted above and up the grain bill in the same %'s up to a total of 6kg, then do the same with the hop additions to get you to 80-100ibus bitterness that gets you there.

Using brewmate or beersmith this is easy to do.

Or buy the Mikkeller book for a good number of their original recipes. Its well worth picking up, an inspiring read.

I know what you mean mate, I've been itching to make one of his imperial stouts but the thought of having 40 odd bottles aging for a year then making my way through them at 10% abv is a serious commitment!
Exciting and inspiring recipes though.

You can scale back the grain bill and hop additions quite easily for lower ABV%. I know this steps things strictly speaking away from the original recipe but for me its about the inspiration of the original but tweaking it to something you re happy to drink.

Easy enough to re-build the recipe with lower ingredients with Brewmate or Beersmith etc.

Although not to everyones taste, I am happy enough with 80-90ibus on a 5% ale.

Sounds really good, I'm a big fan of Centennial too so a nice variation, I'm sure.

Eyup,

not sure on posting original recipes from books here, re: copyright.

If you take my recipe posted above and up the grain bill in the same %'s up to a total of 6kg, then do the same with the hop additions to get you to 80-100ibus bitterness that gets you there.

Using brewmate or beersmith this is easy to do.

Or buy the Mikkeller book for a good number of their original recipes. Its well worth picking up, an inspiring read.

Heh, worth a shot ;) Nah, but seriously the recipe you've given here looks ace. Do you mind if i replicate yours for our next AG brew?

Latest posts

Back