Brew Fridge - What type of heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no thermostat though need to use some form of temperature controller such as an stc-1000

I use a red bulb for reptile tanks, and an old pc fan to circulate the warm air (quite important apparently).

Hi!
60 Watt tubular heater (�£19.99 Amazon) works a treat with an STC-1000 temperature controller.
I built a fermentation box and ordered a 45 Watt model as it was �£7 cheaper, but it struggles to keep the temp up. I've augmented it with a 60 Watt bulb in a sealed tin. This keeps the temp at 18 degrees - quite sufficient for a slow brew with Notty yeast.
Incidentally, the 60 Watt model has dropped to �£14 on Amazon. :-(
My original set-up was a �£10 fan heater, but this caused the fridge to hot/cold cycle too often.

Hi!
I've built two and had no problems. Factoring in the cost of the unit, the project box (or sandwich box), cable and electric sockets, the ready-built model is not that much more expensive (and looks the canine's cojones).

Yes, I'd have to agree, even though so many people who have never wired anything before (including me) have had no issues making one from scratch, that ready built one looks like a good deal. Make it yourself if you want the 'I did it myself' feeling, otherwise, buy that ready made one.

I used a 60 with tube heater I purchased from eBay, I've been using my brew fridge for some time now and it works a treat it's definitely the way to go

I use one of these wired into an STC http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p32265?table=no

Building the temperature controller was part of the fun for me, but if you have any doubts the ITC-308 looks like a good option.

I do make sure there's a barrier between the heater and the FV though (old piece of expanded polystyrene packing material) as I don't want the radiant heat to concentrate too much on one side of the FV. 40 pints has quite a lot of thermal inertia and takes a while to heat so I don't want to be just blasting one side of the FV.

I hate brew fridge threads. They make me insane with jealousy as I have nowhere to put a brew fridge, but i really want one. Could you all stop talking about them please, at least til I've moved house, or the kids have left home.

Very true. But a fan is still important to spread the heat around, surely? At least, that is what I have been led to believe. My light/heat source (infra red) sits under the fv and is shielded by the shelf the fv sits on, so no radiated heat issues but I have drilled holes around the edges of the shelf to ensure convection takes place.

Yes, a fan is definitely a worthy addition, I'm not knocking it. In your case the radiant heat will warm the surrounding surfaces (none of which being the FV directly) so you are dealing with entirely convected heat.
In my setup (600x600 chest freezer with opening lid) I don't have a shelf and only limited space for the heater which sits on its end next to the FV hence the insulation, one day I may add a fan. I think shielding the heater is a worthy step for anyone who has a radiant heater in line of site of the FV though.

Just my 10 cents..

I would say so - anyone who has sat in front of a camp fire will no doubt have been cooking at the front but still cold on the back....

Thanks everyone. I think an itc would be easier, especially with my run of bad luck with electrics. Still waiting for the garage to be re-wired so I have time to purchase the various bits.

Latest posts

Back