malic acid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorskin

Reaction score
I want to start a turbo cider in a few days but really want to use some Malic acid. My local homebrew shop does not stock it and the postage to buy it online makes it really expensive (£2 + £3 postage) for only 50g.
I can buy 250g for £6 from Buywholefoods, I am doing a shopping from there anyway, is this the same as the "homebrew" malic acid?
Any other uses for malic acid?
TBH I dont really want to buy 250g of it, but i feel like a mug spending £5 for 50g of "homebrew" malic acid.
Anyone know a cheap place to do smaller homebrew orders?

No unfortunately, I live in London, there arent many shops here that sell this sort of stuff, and the odd one that does, doesnt stock malic acid :(

You want food or pharma grade so that should be ok.
it does seem expensive from homebrew shops so I buy mine from ebay at about £7.80 for 500g it keeps so cheaper overall if you use it all year round.

Ah, thats great, thanks. Was not sure if the homebrew one was special in any way. Ill just have to make more TC :P

Got lucky and my local homebrew shop had one in store that they saved for me. :)

If anyone has mastered the dark art of malolactic fermentation of cider, can they please tell me how to do it - successfully!

I think to get real malolactic fermentation you need the right yeast (with lactobacillus?). Some people have had good results culturing the yeast from an Old Rosie cider.
I am not sure if adding malic acid will help with the yeast I am using (youngs super wine yeast), but I am giving it a go.

On another thread, Tony Hibbett recommended the use of Malocid to deal with malic acid in cider. Brouwland stock it at 17,59 € for 100g, which will treat 200 litres. This is the figure which is quoted for wines. However I've read that it will go further for cider. Has anyone any experience of this? If so, how far can it reasonably be stretched? It would be helpful to know as it seems to have a limited shelf life and I'd like to order no more than I'm likely to need to use for my 2016 cider later this year.

Latest posts

Back