Brewferm Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've always fancied making some of these as I really like Belgian beers and I guess they're better if bottled. I've heard it said that they also benefit from a long maturing time. I'm thinking of having some sat ready to be at their prime for next Christmas.

Specifically thinking of doing ABDIJ and the Christmas kits. Would it be too early to brew and bottle some of this with the next month or so ready for Christmas? Or is it really a case of the longer the better?

The longer the better is the general rule, but in my experience they are at their best 6-9 months after brewing. So perfect to start thinking about brewing now.

I always bottle mine in 33cl bottles due to the strength (buy a cheap crate of San Miguel, the discarded bottles are perfect). And use Golden Syrup to make up the kit rather than brewing sugar, it's much closer to traditional Belgian Candi Sugar.

I've always fancied making some of these as I really like Belgian beers and I guess they're better if bottled. I've heard it said that they also benefit from a long maturing time. I'm thinking of having some sat ready to be at their prime for next Christmas.

Specifically thinking of doing ABDIJ and the Christmas kits. Would it be too early to brew and bottle some of this with the next month or so ready for Christmas? Or is it really a case of the longer the better?

Your Abdij will be awesome for xmas if you get it in now. 9 months+ was when mine went from super to superb. :grin: I doubled up the brew (2x9 litres)and i have kept 6 back for the following xmas. perhaps try a bottle at 3 & 6 months and you'll see how it develops.

ps. I also used dark candi sugar as recommended in the instructions as well as transferring to another fv for a secondary fermentation.

I've only done a few kits but the abdij was the best imo. it's no good if you're impatient tho' :lol:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a good plan then, I'll add it to the list of brews to make soon :)

After seeing this thread i remembered i had some Brewferm brews stashed in the wardrobe. Just opened a Framboos that was bottled 27/01/15 so almost a year to the date. I know it definitely tastes better after the long maturation after trying a few along the way. Very smooth and great flavour.
I also have a Grand Cru lined up next that was bottled 15/02/15 once the glass is empty!

I used candi sugar bought online but it's apparently easy to makr

Yes it is. Basically, you use table sugar with the smallest amount of boiling water needed to dissolve completely, then you keep it simmering in a pan until it caramelises to the required darkness.

Just done a Brewferm Triple this afternoon. Hit gravity bang on at 1075. Used candi sugar but I dont think id bother again buying it, will make my own next time.
Got their Diabolo bottled on monday but they had a mistake on their instructions as sugar was short by 120g so came up short on ABV. Its carbing well in the water bath, its just a case of trying to leave it alone. Might have to crack a bottle in 2 months. Trying to save until xmas.

Yes it is. Basically, you use table sugar with the smallest amount of boiling water needed to dissolve completely, then you keep it simmering in a pan until it caramelises to the required darkness.

don't you have to use a bit of acid .e.g. lemon juice to get the sugar to invert?

Yes, or cream of tartar. Citric acid.

Should be a good move, and recommended back in the 1960's & 1970's books, if I recall correctly. I have always thought that the yeast would carry out this step in any event, so it would just mean that the fermentation may take longer.

Should be a good move, and recommended back in the 1960's & 1970's books, if I recall correctly. I have always thought that the yeast would carry out this step in any event, so it would just mean that the fermentation may take longer.

Candi sugar is already inverted into fructose & glucose so it's easier for the yeast to work on (and stresses them less apparently - so less chance of off flavours). lyles golden syrup is partially inverted so thats in-between sugar & candi sugar. I'd make my own if I had more spare time.

I brewed a grand cru late Nov 2015 and bottled it up early December. I got 10 x 500ml and 12 x 330ml bottles. They are for next christmas so definitely not too late.Make your own candi sugar as well as you can get the right colour to your own taste. Its simple as anything, the hardest part is cleaning the pan afterwards lol.

The longer the better is the general rule, but in my experience they are at their best 6-9 months after brewing. So perfect to start thinking about brewing now.

I always bottle mine in 33cl bottles due to the strength (buy a cheap crate of San Miguel, the discarded bottles are perfect). And use Golden Syrup to make up the kit rather than brewing sugar, it's much closer to traditional Belgian Candi Sugar.

Thanks for the San Miguel tip, two cases for £16 in Morrisons at the moment so step towards brewing up some of these kits for Crimbo 2016. Just got to empty the contents first :cheers:

Back