Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > Home Brew Beer - Greg Hughes

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 30-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4405 Times on 3335 Posts
Likes Given: 4636

This is a fantastic book, the recipes are awesome

I've merged this thread with the one MM started yesterday so people can read the comments on this book all in one thread

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

BeerCat Likes This 
Old 30-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
Tony1951
Bungling Amateur

Liked 546 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
This is a fantastic book, the recipes are awesome

I've merged this thread with the one MM started yesterday so people can read the comments on this book all in one thread
I have made the grain bill for Hughes' English IPA recipe the basis of my IPAs and APAs now. 6kg pale malt + 150grammes of crystal for about 23 litres finished wort. Have one in the FV vessel now hopped with Goldings and Magnum which has come out at 7.5% in the FV before carbonation. I am just experimenting with hops around that grain bill and it suits floral American hops as well as traditional English. Comes out lovely every time and two bottles knocks my head off (6 or 7 units). Normally, I stick to one bottle a night except on Saturdays.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 30-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1951 View Post
I have made the grain bill for Hughes' English IPA recipe the basis of my IPAs and APAs now. 6kg pale malt + 150grammes of crystal for about 23 litres finished wort. Have one in the FV vessel now hopped with Goldings and Magnum which has come out at 7.5% in the FV before carbonation. I am just experimenting with hops around that grain bill and it suits floral American hops as well as traditional English. Comes out lovely every time and two bottles knocks my head off (6 or 7 units). Normally, I stick to one bottle a night except on Saturdays.
Similarly I am looking for a 'grain bill base' for an English Ordinary/Standard Bitter and I think I may have found it in the London Bitter grain bill but the tweeked one he suggests using only 200g crystal instead of 396g. In a similar way to you I'm going to use it to experiment with hops, especially as I won the equivalent Geterbrewed Slovinian hop comp on another forum. So will be doing loads of Slovian satandard bitters

I've got the honey porter from page 172 cold fermenting at 15C in my FV at the mo

Old 30-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
mereside

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have just bought this book and looking forward to doing some of the recipes, I got the book from all the good reports thanks Wayne

Old 30-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
Tony1951
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Similarly I am looking for a 'grain bill base' for an English Ordinary/Standard Bitter and I think I may have found it in the London Bitter grain bill but the tweeked one he suggests using only 200g crystal instead of 396g. In a similar way to you I'm going to use it to experiment with hops, especially as I won the equivalent Geterbrewed Slovinian hop comp on another forum. So will be doing loads of Slovian satandard bitters

I've got the honey porter from page 172 cold fermenting at 15C in my FV at the mo
Well done on winning the slovenian hops. Great fun isn't it? I won a free ingredients kit from Geterbrewed a while back the same day that I won �£140 on the lottery!! Was I a happy old git...

I'm hoping that your hoppy ale with the late hops left in during fermentation smooths out to your liking. Still early yet for you top have tested it, but hoping it will be good.

Assuming the pale malt in your grain bill is similar to mine we will almost be making the same beer. Your extra 50 grammes of crystal will add a little colour and a more malty taste.

Old 30-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1951 View Post
Well done on winning the slovenian hops. Great fun isn't it? I won a free ingredients kit from Geterbrewed a while back the same day that I won ��£140 on the lottery!! Was I a happy old git...

I'm hoping that your hoppy ale with the late hops left in during fermentation smooths out to your liking. Still early yet for you top have tested it, but hoping it will be good.

Assuming the pale malt in your grain bill is similar to mine we will almost be making the same beer. Your extra 50 grammes of crystal will add a little colour and a more malty taste.
There were only 22 entrants for the 20 prizes so Geterbrewed gave every entrant a prize.

I tried the hoppy bitter with the late hops in last night. The soapyness has mellowed quite a lot and it's really got a lovely light floral flavour from the EKG. The First Gold flavours are begining to come throught too. I think this beer is going to be a winner with a bit more conditioning. I think late hops left in the FV really works. I'm going try it again I think on my next bitter

Old 30-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #17
Tony1951
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
There were only 22 entrants for the 20 prizes so Geterbrewed gave every entrant a prize.

I tried the hoppy bitter with the late hops in last night. The soapyness has mellowed quite a lot and it's really got a lovely light floral flavour from the EKG. The First Gold flavours are begining to come throught too. I think this beer is going to be a winner with a bit more conditioning. I think late hops left in the FV really works. I'm going try it again I think on my next bitter
Generous of them giving everyone the prize. And brilliant that the brew is coming good. I was hoping I hadn't led you into spoiling good beer. I've been pleased with the way the accident of the blocked filter improved things and with the way another accident led me to do away with the grain bag and upped my brew house efficiency. The vat of 7.5% IPA standing in the dining room near the radiator will be dynamite I think. I'll have to put a skull and cross bones on the label. I might refer to it henceforth as 'Old Pirate IPA'. magnum and EKG with the late hops (and all the hops left in). It's a corker mate. I drank the trial jar yesterday lunch time when I checked the gravity. It has gone from 1066 to 1010 in a week. I felt my head spin after the test.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 31-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #18
Notlaw
Dubbel Dragon

Liked 809 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

For anyone who hasn't got it and was thinking about it, the book had just been reduced to £10.49 on Amazon today. As it's just over the tenner mark, you'll get free delivery too.

Old 17-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #19
Clint

Liked 1124 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 270

For future reference. ...are the recipes in this book compatible with grainfather type brewing equipment? What volumes are they etc? I don't really want to brew say 10l prefer to do 23..

Cheers

Clint

Old 17-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #20
DoctorMick

Liked 680 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
For future reference. ...are the recipes in this book compatible with grainfather type brewing equipment? What volumes are they etc? I don't really want to brew say 10l prefer to do 23..

Cheers

Clint
Yep, I've used a few of them with the GF, just discard the water volumes in the book. All the recipes are for 23l brews, obviously they use an assumed efficiency so once you know your system you can tweak the recipes a bit so you hit the OG figures.

Conditioning: Brew Dog Peroxide Punk clone

Drinking: Deschutes Obsidian Stout clone, Stone Ruination Clone, Northern Brown Ale, American Brown Ale v2, American Red Ale, The Kernel Export India Porter, Ooh Ahh Jester Little Bit, Mikkeller Green Gold clone, Brewdog Skull Candy clone

Planning: American Amber Ale, Oatmeal Milk Stout

Tags
greg hughes