Coopers Cerveza kit (2nd brew)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PortersBrew

Reaction score
Being as keen as eager as I am, with little patience it seems lol, while the Coopers Real Ale is conditioning, I have set up my second brew in the FV which is the Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit. I'm already itching to try my hand at AG but thought I'd get these kits brewed and some experience under the belt.

I was thinking of dry hopping this Cerveza kit but think I'll hold of trying this as plan top use cascade hops with the Australian Pale Ale kit I have.

Thought I'd take a few photos and make a thread to keep track of my experience and results with the Cerveza kit.

Started of this morning with a trip to Wilko to get some Bruclens.

Sterilised the FV and rest of the equipment this afternoon while my son was out at a friends party.

On to the 2.5 litres of boiling water and in with the kit and also 1kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 and then a good mix to dissolve the ingredients.

Topped up to 20L mark on the FV and temp was reading 28°C on the thermometer. Another 3L of cold water and had a temp of 26°C.

Took a SG reading and it came back as 1.040, then in with kit yeast, lid on and left to do its thing.

Now to decide what to use to prime the bottles with when the primary fermentation is finished. I have Coopers Carbonation Drops but wondering whether to try something different (too many ideas in my head after reading posts on this forum lol).

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

Great post PortersBrew, I'd recommend dry hopping it and buying some more hops (and so it starts) I think you'll appreciate the flavour further down the line. I use ordinary table sugar for priming (the cheapest I can find), the Coopers carbonation drops do a great job so use them. I've bottled my Coopers Cerveza 21/01/16 into 600ml bottles with 1tsp of sugar but go with your gut on how much to prime, I like a fizzy lager.

The Cerveza has been fermenting for 6 days. I took a SG reading last night which came in at 1020. Not 100% sure what FG I should be looking for? Still getting some bubbles from the air lock.

I think I may have to look into purchasing a heater pad or belt though as the temp has been slowly dropping about 0.5 - 1 degree a day. I initially pitched the yeast in the FV at a temp of 26°C and then wrapped and fully covered the FV with a thick fleece and an old coat to keep as much heat in. FV is currently at 21°C.

Will check the SG again tomorrow afternoon which will be after 8 days fermenting.

1020 is a bit on the high side still, I read these usually go down to about 1010 but some have bottled at 1014 and been fine, some say theirs have gone down to 1006, I think it depends on which brew enhancer is used and how much and also if any extra sugars ae added.

1020 is a bit on the high side still, I read these usually go down to about 1010 but some have bottled at 1014 and been fine, some say theirs have gone down to 1006, I think it depends on which brew enhancer is used and how much and also if any extra sugars ae added.

Cheers for the info. I used Coopers Brew Enhancer 1. I'll keep checking the SG I had the feeling it still had not to go.

So I've checked the SG on Friday, Sunday and just now and each time the reading has been 1020,1018,1018.

The temperature in the room has dropped recently but the FV temp has not gone below 18 degrees. I'm not sure if the fermenting has stopped due to the temp or wherever it has just finished fermenting? But wary of bottling at 1018 to be honest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well the FV was warmed gently back to 21°C and left for another 2 days, but after reading the SG again on Saturday it still had a SG of 1018.

It had been in the FV for 2 weeks so i have bottled into 500ml PET bottles and will leave for a week in the warm and then move them into a colder area. I have primed 6 of the bottles with demerara sugar just to see what the difference is (if any). The rest of the bottles had a Coopers Carbonation drop used.

1.018 isn't great as you say but it does seem that the fermentation was stuck there. Seems to be a recurring theme here at the moment, I've also had a couple of brews stick around the 1.018-1.020 mark.

You bottled with only one carb drop so that should limit your risk of over carbing should the yeast make its way through the residual sugar left over from the initial fermentation.

How did you pitch the yeast? Dry from the pack or rehydrated before pitching?

1.018 isn't great as you say but it does seem that the fermentation was stuck there. Seems to be a recurring theme here at the moment, I've also had a couple of brews stick around the 1.018-1.020 mark.

You bottled with only one carb drop so that should limit your risk of over carbing should the yeast make its way through the residual sugar left over from the initial fermentation.

How did you pitch the yeast? Dry from the pack or rehydrated before pitching?

The yeast was pitched dry from the pack with brew in the FV at 26°C. Never thought about re-hydrating it prior to pitching as the Coopers real ale kit with kit yeast had no issues a few weeks prior to this brew.

Think I'll try re-hydrating the yeast with my next coopers kit (Australian Pale Ale)

Isn't pitching the yeast at 26degrees a bit on the high side, you may have killed off some of the yeast from the start.

The bottles have been conditioning for 2 weeks in a cold room now. I bottled 6 in grolsch bottles with 2 sachets (5g) of demerara sugar, the rest were bottled in 500ml PET with a Coopers carbonation drop (only one as wasn't 100% confident the fermentation had finished).

Tried one of each last night and the PET bottled Cerveza tasted nice but hadn't carbed very well.
The grolsch bottle opened with a good pop and was very carbed and tasted great!

Looks like I'll be drinking flat(ish) Cerveza for a while 😣

All good experience for future carbonating, hopefully the PET bottles with the drops will improve given time, you'll just have to drink all the grolschies first :thumb:

All good experience for future carbonating, hopefully the PET bottles with the drops will improve given time, you'll just have to drink all the grolschies first :thumb:

It's all a learning curve for me and one I'm enjoying.

The grolschies will be gone first!

Latest posts

Back