another slovenian apa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
Hi all. Had a great day yesterday using our home made AG setup. Here goes.

6.36kg marris otter
100g cara red
100g roasted barley

16 litres to mash tun for 1 hour at 65℃

Performed both first and second runnings.

Sparged with 14 litres of 75℃ water.

24 litres to the boiler. Recipe builder says 1.075 actual 1.072 or 17% brix.

Estimated abv a whopping 7%

PH 5.5

Styrian aurora for 60 mins (25g)
Savinjski goldings for 60 mins (25g)
Styrian cascade 25 mins (25g)
Styrian wolf 10 mins (10g)
Styrian Dana 10 mins (10g)

Not sure how to dry hop it as of yet.

Cooled with the coil and pitched mj west coast yeast.

Sparged the grain once more and collected the last of the wort in a demi to play with the hops even more. OG of that wort 1.044 or 11% brix.

This was boiled for half hour with styrian goldings, bobek, styrian wolf and Dana. All 10g additions. This little one smells wonderful!

Some pics of the day

IMAG2260.jpg

IMAG2266.jpg

IMAG2269.jpg

IMAG2274.jpg

IMAG2283.jpg

IMAG2284.jpg

IMAG2290.jpg

IMAG2298.jpg

Looks good I used Wolf cascade and dana in my IPA and if the tiny post fermentation drops are anything to go by its a winner!!

So is this a Slovenian American pale ale or a SPA :p

Great idea from Geterbrewed as it has concentrated everyone on using these Slovenian hops all together in a brew.
I know I will use these again and if we can have an APA then why not an SPA?

Any suggestions of a dry hop schedule? It's fermenting away nicely so after the intial krausen has died down.

Completion Slovenian hops of course.

I made mine last friday and yesterday its just about finished fermenting.. I would dry hop 5 days before you plan to bottle.. so If I planned to say bottle saturday (which may well be the case) I would drop the hops in tomorrow and on friday or even thursday night I will try and drop the temp down if I can

I made mine last friday and yesterday its just about finished fermenting.. I would dry hop 5 days before you plan to bottle.. so If I planned to say bottle saturday (which may well be the case) I would drop the hops in tomorrow and on friday or even thursday night I will try and drop the temp down if I can

What amounts and of which types have you decided to go with?

I love the name styrian wolf so might just be going with that :-)

I like the idea of doing a second sparge for another brew. Will be interested to find out what you do with that.

I've just been and checked on it and it's brewing away nicely. I didn't have any special yeasts so I just poured an old kit yeast in there.

Apparently you can keep washing the grain for a smaller boil until somewhere near 5-7% brix. Would be low in alchohol mind.

I've just been and checked on it and it's brewing away nicely. I didn't have any special yeasts so I just poured an old kit yeast in there.

Apparently you can keep washing the grain for a smaller boil until somewhere near 5-7% brix. Would be low in alchohol mind.

So you did a full boil with it?
I suppose you could have waited for the 1st brew to kick off and pinch some of the krausen instead of another yeast pack. How much of it do you have?

Just sparged around 6 or 7 litre and boiled for about 40 mins while we faffed around setting up the chiller coil for the main brew.

I could have pinched some I suppose but I wanted to get some yeast in it right away to prevent any infection.

Yea I know but having spent all day prepping and brewing I wanted to complete the whole thing in a day. Ood kit yeast, and it's going like a trooper. I've had to remove the bung and cover with sterile cling film it's rocketing!

Have you split it in two fermenters??

I am sure you said you went for 6kg of grain?? that would make it nearly 9-10% if you only have 14liters..

what was your OG before pitching?? brewmate suggests 1095

Nope just one fermenter. Washed the grains again to get a demi of beer to experiment with also, so was close to 20 litres.

OG was 1.083 so going to be very strong. Maybe to strong?

Latest posts

Back