10 gallon pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cqr

Reaction score
I'am thinking off trying ag brewing
I might have got a ten gallon pot, where can I get a bag for it ??
Seen some 5 gallon ones but not 10 gallon

at that volume...a mashtun might make more sense

I was thinking bag as I would also do 5 gallon batches, if that would work ??
I'am still learning so would welcome advice

Depends on what your actual batch size is going to be.. I have a 50 liter pot which is 10 gallons+ but I use that to make a normal 5 gallon batch, and you need a pot that size if you want to do full BIAB no sparge..

Yes for a pot that wide you do need a large bag , HOWEVER If you want to do 10 gallon batches then you are going to have to re think things as you may find it tricky with one pot

what Niman says. How would you lift the grain bag outof the pot? You'd need some sort of small crane

i have managed to lift a 70ltr boil kettle....its not advised and hurts

let gravity be your friend....

time wise a bigger brew dont make a huge diff in time..

cept moving stuff...

I was thinking bag as I would also do 5 gallon batches, if that would work ??
I'am still learning so would welcome advice

Yes like I mentioned above, for true BIAB it is actually the right size pot for 5 gallon batches.. just bare in mind you will need to be able to adequartely heat about 33l of water in it.

Yes like I mentioned above, for true BIAB it is actually the right size pot for 5 gallon batches.. just bare in mind you will need to be able to adequartely heat about 33l of water in it.

Would a 5kw Gas ring heat it ok

I did this for another Post ...

How fast do you want to get your wort to boiling point?

Here's the calculation for a 7.5kWh heater to raise 50 litres of water from 15 degrees to 100 degrees.

50 litres = 50kg = 50,000 grams

Specific heat of water is 4.2 joules / gram.Kelvin

From 15 to 100 degrees is 85 Kelvin

Energy needed is 50,000 grams x 85 degrees Kelvin x 4.2 joules = 17.85 Mega Joules

kWh = 1000W x 3600 seconds = 3.6 Mega Joules

Therefore, energy needed is 17.85 / 3.6 = 4.96kWh (i.e. it would take one hour to raise the wort to boiling using a 4.96kWh heater)

Therefore the time to raise the temperature from 15 degrees to boiling point with a 7.5kwh heater is 4.96 / 7.5 = 0.66hrs = 40 minutes.

For me, 7.5kw would be big enough.

You can modify the figures for a 5kw heater.

I did this for another Post ...

How fast do you want to get your wort to boiling point?

Here's the calculation for a 7.5kWh heater to raise 50 litres of water from 15 degrees to 100 degrees.

50 litres = 50kg = 50,000 grams

Specific heat of water is 4.2 joules / gram.Kelvin

From 15 to 100 degrees is 85 Kelvin

Energy needed is 50,000 grams x 85 degrees Kelvin x 4.2 joules = 17.85 Mega Joules

kWh = 1000W x 3600 seconds = 3.6 Mega Joules

Therefore, energy needed is 17.85 / 3.6 = 4.96kWh (i.e. it would take one hour to raise the wort to boiling using a 4.96kWh heater)

Therefore the time to raise the temperature from 15 degrees to boiling point with a 7.5kwh heater is 4.96 / 7.5 = 0.66hrs = 40 minutes.

For me, 7.5kw would be big enough.

You can modify the figures for a 5kw heater.

Really good info, what he will want to do is adjust all the figures, he will need roughly 33l to raise to 70 and then 27-28L for boil..

I'am going to build a lifting frame to lift and hold the bag
So it seems I should not go for a 5kw fing what kg should I be looking for
Anyone got a link to a place to buy a ag please

Opps the to a both posts did not show an till I posted , sorry
I still can't find a bag
What do other peaple do/use

Is there any reason one couldn't use 2 x 5 gallon sized BIAB bags instead of one 10 gallon one? Bit fiddly to fill perhaps but obviously easier to hoik out after the mash.

Opps the to a both posts did not show an till I posted , sorry
I still can't find a bag
What do other peaple do/use

I would give Rob a call at the Malt Miller, he has always been very, very helpful with me.

I don't use gas but they do a 7.5kw burner for £28 which is worth a look:
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=422

Sure he can advise, he also does a large grain bag for £6.60:
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=764

Measure your pot diamater and give him a call if you need any advise. service is always great in my experience.

Good luck with your all grain brewing and enjoy it !

Well it turns out it's a 70 litre pot
Is this to big to do 5 gallon batches
I'am still trying to get my head round this, biab or no bag
I would really appreciate any advice please

Well it turns out it's a 70 litre pot
Is this to big to do 5 gallon batches
I'am still trying to get my head round this, biab or no bag
I would really appreciate any advice please

I don't see why not.. the only thing I think which might make a little bit of difference is mashing in it you may find it a little harder keeping the temp with the extra head space.. you will need a big bag though for the permieter.. I did try what @Cwrw666 suggests on my 50 liter last year and they were a bit streched and just didn't quite go deep enough for me.. but it is a good idea on a smaller pot though..

Latest posts

Back