Citra SMaSH - BIAB help on measurements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plot44

plot44
Reaction score
Hi. Attempting to use BIABacus to work out what i need for a simple Cita SMaSH in a 5 Gallon Stock Pot. It is my first attempt moving from extract kits and trying to not get too bogged down with detail.

A Couple of questions / advice
1) Does the recipe look right for a 5 Gallon pot?
2) How much yeast would you recommend? I have a sachet of Mangrove Jack M44 West Coast
3) How do I work out the strike temp of the water?
4) Do I add priming sugar like I have with the extract kits?
5) Do i need a Whirfloc tablet?

Thanks in advance.....:thumb:

Citra SMASH
Recipe Overview

ABV: 3.8% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.066
IBU's (Tinseth): 43
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.65
Colour: 5.9 EBC = 5.5 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 83 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 74.7 %

Times and Temperatures
Mash:
Boil: 90 min
Ferment:

Volumes & Gravities
Total Water Needed (TWN): 14.39 L = 3.8 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 13.5 L = 3.57 G @ 1.042
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 8.32 L = 2.2 G @ 1.066
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 7.5 L = 1.98 G @ 1.066
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 6.95 L = 1.83 G @ 0 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)
100% Maris Otter (5.9 EBC = 3 SRM) 2236 grams = 4.93 pounds

Hop Bill
14.5 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 4.3 grams = 0.151 ounces at 90 mins
13.9 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 5.7 grams = 0.201 ounces at 30 mins
6.5 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 5.7 grams = 0.201 ounces at 10 mins
8.1 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 12.8 grams = 0.452 ounces at 5 mins
0 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 14.2 grams = 0.503 ounces at 0 mins
0 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 8.5 grams = 0.302 ounces at 0 mins
0 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 5.7 grams = 0.201 ounces at 0 mins

Mash Steps
Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash) for 90 mins at C = F
Mashout for for 1 mins at 78 C = 172.4 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients
1/2 Tab Whirfloc (Boil) 5 Mins - Clarity

to answer your points if it were me brewing

1) I would boil for 60 minutes and lose the 30 and 5 min additions, you could always add the 5 minute addition to the flame out amount.
2) Yes use the whole sachet
3) I bought a thermometer and 'struck' at 66/67 degrees as you wil lose 3ish degrees
4) I primed my bottles with just over a quarter teaspoon of sugar
5) I use Irish Moss at 15 minutes, whirlfloc does the same so yes

I would be surprised if your kettle efficiency is as high as 83% though. Also I have just used pellets for the first time and they break up to a finer mush than hole leaf hops, I used a jumbo strainer over my FV when I poured it in, next time i use pellets I might place a fully sanitised
Jay cloth as an added filter, takes a little longer but should produce a clearer beer.

How long form flame out will you start cooling the wort?, most modern way is to leave at least 30 minutes if you are going to effect the cold break.

Something isn't quite adding up right with your og @ 1.066 and your abv @ 3.8%..? Is that supposed to be 5.8%?

HisDudeNess sent me this last week.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=55024

Due to an oversight when i went shopping and a schoolboy error when I was hopping, (maybe i should be a poet) i had to improvise.
But by god does it smell good.

Based on this compared to your hop bill, i'd say your hops are lacking. However, time will tell on my tasting.

I couldn't help with temeratures on BIAB, as I use a seperate mash tun. But for the mash tun, I have two thermometers.
One in my HLT allowing the water to get as high as 85 degrees ish, by the time it's all dumped in the mash tun, this could be reading about 75 degrees.
I would then drop my grains in and stir to remove the flour bombs, and if the temperature is too high, i'll add a little cold.

If youre talking priming sugar for the secondary then it depends if your'e kegging or bottling, but the general rule of thumb for 5 gallon tends to be around 80-100grams for a keg

HisDudeNess sent me this last week.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=55024

Due to an oversight when i went shopping and a schoolboy error when I was hopping, (maybe i should be a poet) i had to improvise.
But by god does it smell good.

Based on this compared to your hop bill, i'd say your hops are lacking. However, time will tell on my tasting.

I couldn't help with temeratures on BIAB, as I use a seperate mash tun. But for the mash tun, I have two thermometers.
One in my HLT allowing the water to get as high as 85 degrees ish, by the time it's all dumped in the mash tun, this could be reading about 75 degrees.
I would then drop my grains in and stir to remove the flour bombs, and if the temperature is too high, i'll add a little cold.

If youre talking priming sugar for the secondary then it depends if your'e kegging or bottling, but the general rule of thumb for 5 gallon tends to be around 80-100grams for a keg
Ohhh im all for whacking some more hops in. Hoppier the better!

Bearing in mind, the recipe in the link is for 2 gallons.
My 5 gallon brew had more than 200 grams of mixed hops.

Back