Coopers Australian pale ale tweak.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_d1978

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just brewed the coopers apa kit with 500g dry light malt extract and 500g of hopped dry malt extract.
S.G 1046
Just took a hydrometer reading and sitting at 1012 after 10 days. Still getting a bubble every minute or 2. Will check again at 14 days. Rough temperature of 20-22c. Trial jar tasted and smelled good. :drink:

Fermentation finished. F.G 1010 so my ABV 4.7% . Tasted the trial jar and very happy with the taste so far. After priming and bottling it should be roughly 5% of lovely golden ale. Should be good round about April time. This weekends kit will be a bulldog bad cat imperial red ale. This one comes in at a hefty 7.5% Abv :doh:

I was looking at the Youngs American AAA kit or similar. Any recommendations would be grateful.

Fermentation finished. F.G 1010 so my ABV 4.7% . Tasted the trial jar and very happy with the taste so far. After priming and bottling it should be roughly 5% of lovely golden ale. Should be good round about April time. This weekends kit will be a bulldog bad cat imperial red ale. This one comes in at a hefty 7.5% Abv :doh:

I was looking at the Youngs American AAA kit or similar. Any recommendations would be grateful.

I still like terrym's suggestion of adding hops. Dry hop or hop tea is a quick win for a kit. You can get bitterness from a LME based kit, but aroma and flavour get boiled away in the concentration of the wort.

Agree with the hopping suggestions. I made this kit over the summer and added an Amarillo hop tea. It turned out really well, so much so, I've bought another kit to do the same again. Although this time will dry hop as well.

I do agree with the advice about the hop tea or dry hopping, I use a hop tea on all my kits. I did notice that your 500g of DME was hopped so you will add to the hop profile of the kit. This sounds like a cracking brew, if I had that conditioning I'm not sure I'd last until April to try sneaky tester, purely in the interests of monitoring the conditioning process of course.

. This sounds like a cracking brew, if I had that conditioning I'm not sure I'd last until April to try sneaky tester, purely in the interests of monitoring the conditioning process of course.
My experience with this kit is that it can be drunk young. So after two weeks in the FV and 2 weeks conditioning mine didn't change very much except to slowly lose the contribution from the Cascade dry hops.

There is a few good looking recipes on the Coopers website using the Australian Pale Ale. I'm using one of the recipes as the base for my first brew, with a few tweaks just for experimenting....

Latest posts

Back