Bobek or Aurora for SL style beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HisDudeness

Reaction score
Want to use some of my Slovenian hops in a Summer Lightning style beer for the late additions especially but undecided between Bobek or Aurora for this,
anyone have any thoughts or experience with these hops in a summer ale like this? I saw on another forum someone had used Bobek in an SL clone and said it was great so was leaning that way but then again description for Aurora does specifically mention summer ales errrmmm......:wha:

I would say, it depends on how close you want to get close toSL clone. SL uses EKG iirc so the Bobek will be closest for those floral flavours you get with EKG but if your after a 'summer ale' style but aren't particularly bothered about getting close flavour wise to SL the Aurora looks to have a fantastic flavour profile.

Not fussed about it being a clone just like the look of the recipe as a vehicle for testing new hops (as it can basically be done as a SMASH style beer), agree the description for Aurora does look appealing....

Is there any way you could do a split batch and use the bobek in half and the aurora in the other half

I like that idea, would need to look at the logistics of it though, my split batch for the water chemistry experiment did result in a very long brewday!

The only way I could think to do it quickly is to do what I do and exclusively use hop tea's for the flavour additons. Just make up two different ones and add them to the individual FV's at bottling time

Yes either that or could you not do half on your Kitchen hob and half in the boiler?

I think MyQul is on to a good idea though, if you're able to split them out early aswell you could do flame out hop steep..

Yes either that or could you not do half on your Kitchen hob and half in the boiler?

I think MyQul is on to a good idea though, if you're able to split them out early aswell you could do flame out hop steep..

Something like this would probably be the quickest and easiest method for me I reckon, could treat as one batch using same bittering hop (probably stick with challenger as per original recipe) and then split into 2 FVs at flameout and add the bobek/aurora as steeping hops. This would mean moving 10 min additions to flame out, apart from losing a couple of IBUs what do you think the impact of this would be on hop flavour etc should I increase the amount?

Not sure you'd need to add any more, in fact you may well get more flavour from moving the 10min addtion to flame out. Did you read the thread with the linked article from beersmith talking about volitile oils in hops and the temp they 'evaporate' at? A lot of the 10min addition volitile oils will have disapeared in the steam in the boil which will be retained a little more at 80C.

Ah, found it

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59880

Thanks MyQul I hadn't read that link and it really answers this question well, I think I will definitely do this now as not only do I get to try both hops this way I can also assess the impact of no late boil additions. Might do a small dry hop for both as well. Does make me wonder if I have been wasting my time in the past anxiously watching the timer waiting for just the right moment to throw those late hops into the boil! :doh:

Thanks MyQul I hadn't read that link and it really answers this question well, I think I will definitely do this now as not only do I get to try both hops this way I can also assess the impact of no late boil additions. Might do a small dry hop for both as well. Does make me wonder if I have been wasting my time in the past anxiously watching the timer waiting for just the right moment to throw those late hops into the boil! :doh:

I think we've all done it :lol:

The article also seems to validate my thoughts that you don't get much if any flavour if you put your hops as regular late additions when no chilling as all the oils disapear with the steam as the wort cools down.

Brewed this today, tried out a couple of things that I haven't done before, bittering hops I used a first wort addition and stuck with challenger for this then rather than doing any additions during the boil and to enable a split batch of bobek and aurora I did all the aroma/flavour hops post boil. At flameout I drained the boiler into 2 separate FVs and then steeped the hops for 20 mins, I also left them in during the cool down. I will dry hop both as well. Will be interesting to see the effect of these changes in method and have 2 versions as well.

Here is the recipe which was loosely based on Summer Lighting but with the late additions shifted to post boil and dry hop. As it was split the other half replaced the Aurora with Bobek.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated FG: 1.008 SG
Estimated ABV: 4.4%
Estimated Color: 7.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.40 kg Pale Ale (BestMälz) (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 100.0 %
35.00 g Challenger [7.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop 2 32.7 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 3 -
20.00 g Aurora (Super Styrian Aurora) [8.80 %] - 0 Mins Hop 4 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 5 -
20.00 g Aurora (Super Styrian Aurora) [8.80 %] - Dry Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

Bit late now for you mate, sorry! I used both. I also used Wolf as a first addition hop. Dry hopped Bobek and Aurora, also put them in at flameout, and made a hop tea with them along with my priming sugar at bottling time. In the words of Lord Flashart - WOOF!

Nice I have just finished another (american/slovenian) pale ale with wolf and cardinal in it, hoping for some of those tropical fruit flavours to be prominent

Here is the recipe for my Cardinal Wolfsey Pale Ale, used the grain bill from my Ghost Ship style brew and a similar level of hopping.

Screenshot 2016-02-07 19.26.13.png

The Slovenian takeover of my brew fridge is almost complete, thats a Slovenian IPA in the bottles a split batch of Summer Lightningesque Ale one with Bobek and one with Aurora in the 2 small FVs and the Cardinal Wolfsey in the bigger FV. Only packet I haven't opened yet is the Eureka which I am still trying to think of something to put it in...

2016-02-07 19.23.00.jpg

Dry hopped all 3 today, the aurora based ale was smelling really nice lots of fruit and a definite hint of pineapple. Looking forward to these.....

Latest posts

Back