Greg Hughes Yorkshire Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's been almost two Months since I've been able to get a brew day under way. Finally I've got some spare time so just measured out my ingredients for a Yorkshire Bitter.

Early start tomorrow and I can't wait!

I have a pack of the w.yorkshire in the fridge, was thinking of doing a riggwelter style beer with it sometime soon. It's got very positive reviews from what I have seen

Yep, I've got the smack pack out of the fridge! Have you used it before?

Yes, I've used it once. I put it in a porter. It's quite estery. Initially it had an overwhelming applely flavour but that has mellowed and conditioned out nicely. My porter is lovely now. I fermented at 20C, the next time I use it I'm going to ferment at 18C as I think the appley ester will be less and perhaps some of the other ester flavours I've read about will come through. Like stone fruit and figs.

Bewarned, the krausen can be humongous, so a blow off tube is wise. I have a 2L starter in a 5L demijon and it's almost filled the head space up! - I only started it this arvo. When I first used it I harvested almost the entire yeast cake and put it into a 2L starter. Big mistake. It was just puking krausen, so much so I almost lost the entire strain. I've had to culture up some more from one of my own bottles from that first brew

Strike water on @ 6:15am! Attempting to get the mash out water into the mash tun around about the time I take my Daughter to School! I hope I'm not getting too cocky :)

Experimenting with more water in the mash, plus a mash out with no sparge. Added 2/3rds of my total water for the 60 min mash and forgot to take into account reducing the water temp, so overshot the target mash by a few degrees - cue 5 minutes of stirring and got the mash temp down to 68.

Planning on adding the final third of water at just below boiling for the mash out, then simply lautering and just re circulating the first few litres of run off.

I've done a few variations of that base recipe, always been great. Enjoy your brewday !

I've done a few variations of that base recipe, always been great. Enjoy your brewday !

Cheers. Mash didn't go well :) My false bottom let in a lot of grain into the tube before the ball valve, so didn't get going. I had to jug the wort out into the boil kettle. I might have had a melt down a few months ago, but stuff happens :)

I think quite a lot of crud has got into the kettle, but it looks like the SG is pretty spot on. Will probably give it a bit longer in primary to drop out.

The pipe in my mash tun was completely full of grain, so I'm going to have a think about changing the false bottom.

As I had to jug the wort out into the boil pot (through a sieve) the samples I've taken are full of crud. Far more polluted than usual. I added some Irish moss, but not any more that I usually would. I take it that with a bit of extra time to drop out, it will still clear eventually? I think perhaps I'll lose quite a bit from trub in this brew!

If its still in the boiler, at the end of boiling then chilling, leave it to settle for 15-20 mins before transferring out the the FV. A lot of the trub will settle down along wit the hop debris and should get left in the boiler. Good luck with it, will be fine either way !

Cracked the first of these, mainly because the bottle had a strange white spot inside and I was worried about infection. It's had just 10 days in secondary and it's as clear as a bell! What a lovely, classic taste! Though perhaps, at the moment the mouth feel is just a little thin. Whatever, it's got a lovely malty dryness to it. I think this could be a winner with a bit more conditioning.

2016-03-11%2019.38.20.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm brewing this today and giving my Dad 20 bottles of it for his birthday next month.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'll be quite interested to hear how similar this tastes like John Smiths bitter. I'm planning to make it for my father in laws birthday, as he's dyed in the wool Yorkshireman and drinks John Smiths.

I'll be quite interested to hear how similar this tastes like John Smiths bitter. I'm planning to make it for my father in laws birthday, as he's dyed in the wool Yorkshireman and drinks John Smiths.

Probably not much as WY1469 is a really nice yeast giving the beer lots of character and john smiths is a bit bland

I didn't have the yeast so went with safale 04.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back