First Batch, is it infected???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DadBrews

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on Sunday, yesterday when I noticed the airlock had stopped moving I couldn't resist temptation to pop off the lid and take a sample to check my gravity. It was a double IPA kit, OG was 1.080 and yesterday it was down to about 1.020 which is right around where it should be based on the kit instructions.

Obviously, I also tried a taste of the sample which had a very strong alcohol taste almost more spirits like than beer like. I've read this could be from fermenting at to high a temperature which is a possibility because I had one day that temp got up high enough outside that I had to turn the AC on when I got home and the bucket thermometer was around 75-76.

I was OK with that being the cause and hoped that after another week or two in primary and the time in bottle conditioning that it may turn out alright, I was drinking warm, flat beer by the way. Anyways then I started looking at pictures of infected batches and got worried. It smelled as you would expect an IPA to smell and to me it looked like flakes from the hop pellets that didn't get filtered out. Also, since I had already closed it up and moved the bucket back to the closet when I started thinking it was possibly infected I wanted to open it up again for a better look. Most everything floating had gotten sloshed around when I moved and it didn't really have anything floating, but looked like more stuff stuck to the sides above the liquid as it was in this picture.
78d08ea2ce1bd73abd2243d07fb669da.jpg
b83cbd2f207e8490931899470b641b4e.jpg

Everything looks fine to me,as all the green gunk look like hop debris - I take it you dry hopped?(added some hops a week or so after puttin the yeast in).

The reason your beer taste like spirits rather than beer is more than likely because it had such a high OG and will be a high ABV% rather than an off flavour (although that may be a posibbility) . Putting your figures into a calc, it comes out at 7.9%. This beer will need a long conditioning period to mellow it out and for all the flavours to blend so will taste 'alcoholic' for a while

+1 on what MyQul has said.
Now keep the lid on. Every time you open it up and 'investigate' you run the risk of doing the very thing you are concerned about i.e. spoiling/contamination/infection/ruination however small that risk might be.
Leave it alone for the full two weeks, or even longer, it will do no harm, then do your SG checks to confirm it's OK to bottle.
Hope it turns out OK for you.

Wow - you've just got to learn to leave it alone! Pitch the yeast, put the lid on, you can usually see the foam come up through the translucent plastic of the FV - AND LEAVE IT ALONE FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS. Then you can check it's finished fermenting - and often there's all sorts of **** floating about on the top, though often not as well.

I didn't dry hop but it looked like hop flakes from the pellets that didn't get filtered out. First batch was too much temptation to leave it alone, I don't plan on opening it up again for two more weeks. I just looked at pictures of infections and got paranoid. Thanks for the input.

+1 on everything said previously, not infected just hop detritus.

Leave it a few weeks (i know it's helluva tempting to break into it when it smells so delicious!) and it'll cure.

solid advise above..
I agree it looks fine..

If you need to have a look , just crack the lid and peer in from the side..
if no tap fitted get a turkey baster which is easy to sanitise and can suck out a samples worth of beer in a couple of seconds for a spot gravity check..:)

Latest posts

Back