Unusual substance on my white wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVANS310711

Reaction score
Hi there
I've been brewing the white wine from the range. My first two batches were spot on however I've noticed a strange substance on top of my third batch. I've attached a photo. This has happened after fermenting for a fortnight. It's yellow and chalky but the wine tastes fine underneath. Any ideas?

20160205_182615.jpg

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I have not made the white (made plenty of their rose) so cannot compare, if its still fermenting and smells/tastes fine i wouldn't worry.

Thanks. Do you think I need to scrape this substance off before I move to the next stage i.e adding finings and stabiliser?

I would follow the instructions and see how it turns out, i know other members have made this wine so you may get more feedback later.

Ok thanks there's nothing specific in the instructions about this so hopefully someone else who's also seen this can confirm

KILL IT - KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Seriously though, I would leave it and let it ferment out as normal. I've never seen this before but I tend to leave my wine to it's own devices.

Ha ha ok thanks. Should I try and remove the layer or just add the stabiliser and finings and stir in

Looks alright to me if, had the same on some wine I made, also I have a tc on the go the now and that's what it's like. Picture to show what I mean.

20160202_134510.jpg

Looks fine, you can give it a little wobble, or stir with sanitised spoon to loosen any dead yeast which will sink, good yeast will stay floating, this will help it to clear quicker

Latest posts

Back