Gas burners - Talk to me...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
Already thinking ahead. I've got a nice big garden, the kids play on the trampoline and in summer it's a nice place to be. So I'm thinking about the possibility of a gas burner and brewing outside. I'll probably not do much above 15 or maybe 20 litres and I'm as tight as cramp, so what's my options. What to people recommend?

Already thinking ahead. I've got a nice big garden, the kids play on the trampoline and in summer it's a nice place to be. So I'm thinking about the possibility of a gas burner and brewing outside. I'll probably not do much above 15 or maybe 20 litres and I'm as tight as cramp, so what's my options. What to people recommend?

Have a read of this. Links to the burner a few of us have got and some general advice on using them.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59280

Outdoor brewing on gas can be a pain, a shed or garage is a better bet.

Pot wise I use a 33,L also from malt Miller (other home brew retailers are available) and can just about do a full 23L book though I more typically do between 8 and 15L in it, with no problem

I use one of them burners too.. I use a 50l pot and do a full volume BIAB.. for 23 L batches.. if you're going for 15-20 you won't need a pot that big..

I brew either outside or right inside my conservatory double doors.. Outside is okay but if its windy you will want to keep it guarded.

I have a question too,i will be filling my boiler with hot water direct from our house boiler @130 degrees in a brick building i have at the bottom of the garden.I have 3 new 100ltr tanks,and expect to do brews of say 60 ltrs.As the water is already at this temperature,i would need less energy.Do i still go for the gas 7.5kw burner or could i get away with electric??? But i have only got a supply in my building from an extension lead from the house.Thoughts please:mrgreen:

I have a question too,i will be filling my boiler with hot water direct from our house boiler @130 degrees in a brick building i have at the bottom of the garden.I have 3 new 100ltr tanks,and expect to do brews of say 60 ltrs.As the water is already at this temperature,i would need less energy.Do i still go for the gas 7.5kw burner or could i get away with electric??? But i have only got a supply in my building from an extension lead from the house.Thoughts please:mrgreen:

The 7.5 kw burner will happily maintain a vigorous boil for 60+ litres.

One thing to bear in mind is transporting water to your boiler....i brew at bottom of garden and tbh its a ball ache tramping the water up (with hind sight should have bought a food grade hose for my cooler and killed 2 birds(meh might do it in future))

moving hot water might prove painful

I must admit that I was given good advice on buying a burner. I bought one just like the one in the link posted I ain't looked back great for AG brewing. A lot better than the hob in the house.

The 7.5 kw burner will happily maintain a vigorous boil for 60+ litres.

One thing to bear in mind is transporting water to your boiler....i brew at bottom of garden and tbh its a ball ache tramping the water up (with hind sight should have bought a food grade hose for my cooler and killed 2 birds(meh might do it in future))

moving hot water might prove painful
I have a hozelock multi tap connector from the house to the bottom of garden,no carrying any heavy buckets

I too am a bit on the tight side so my boiler comprises:

o A Wilco FV (���£10) as per this:
http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-fermenting-bin-and-lid-25lt/invt/0022555

o The heating element from a Tesco Basics Kettle (���£5) as per this:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-b...-white/466-6575.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=466-6575

o A tap from local Homebrew Store (���£3.50) as per this:
http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/wine-fermenter-lever-tap-and-back-nut

A couple of hours work dismantling the kettle and installing the element and I had a 25 litre boiler for the princely sum of ���£18.50!

There's a Thread on the Forum that goes into this in great detail at:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30396

I did my first one-hour boil in the garage but "Never again!" because the steam given off was sufficient to put a sheen of condensation over every surface and I even had water dripping down the walls!

Outside in cold and windy weather the single element can take a bit of time to come to the boil so I wrap it in an ancient sheepskin jerkin to help things along. However, even with single element, it gives a great rolling boil to the wort once it's up to temperature.

I use gas ring (an old caravan cooker) to heat water up in the garage but using one outside in any kind of wind can be a real pain.

I much prefer the electric immersion heater system.:thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back