Airlocks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinkupeanut

Reaction score
Hi I'm a 1st time user of home brew I got my equipment off a mate all seems fine apart from the airlock, when I've looked at pics and videos I've noticed the airlocks have a red thing on top maybe made of rubber and don't have one of these, will this make a difference?

20160207_100526.jpg

Not really. The pastic cap just stops dust getting in to the fluid in the airlock. Nice to have but not essential.

You could just stick a bit of loose tinfoil over the top but personally I wouldn't bother.

I usually try to remember to stick something over it. I've had a few insects get in. Still keeps them out of the beer though. Alfoil is an excellent suggestion.

Fermenting bins rarely seal completely round the rim - well enough not to let air in, but not enough to keep gas under pressure in. So there's not much point in an airlock as you'll only see bubbling when it's fermenting like crazy.

Thanks for the suggestions will get right on it. Do I fill the airlock full? I out some vodka in about a shot worth!

Latest posts

Back