RedX

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TartanSpecial

Landlord.
Reaction score
Finally got round to my planned 100% RedX brewday...

6kg BestMaltz RedX
60 min mash at 66 C
12grms Target at 60min
15 grms Challenger at 60min
20grms Northdown at 10min
20 grms EKG at 0 min.
Est IBUs 30.
Batch size 22.7ltrs.
OG 1.058 (target was 1.060)
Yeast WLP028 harvested from last brew (Armadillo Pale Ale)
Hopefully I will finally get a brew that the wife will agree is properly red and not reddy brown. Still had brown notes while boiling.

Resize of P1030785.jpg

Finally got round to my planned 100% RedX brewday...

6kg BestMaltz RedX
60 min mash at 66 C
12grms Target at 60min
15 grms Challenger at 60min
20grms Northdown at 10min
20 grms EKG at 0 min.
Est IBUs 30.
Batch size 22.7ltrs.
OG 1.058 (target was 1.060)
Yeast WLP028 harvested from last brew (Armadillo Pale Ale)
Hopefully I will finally get a brew that the wife will agree is properly red and not reddy brown. Still had brown notes while boiling.

Interesting looking grain bill there tartan. How's the armadillo shaping up?

How's the armadillo shaping up?
Hi Gareth,
It's carbonating at the moment. I've got one PET test bottle that feels pretty solid after only 3 days, so might give it another couple of days and then put it in the fridge and taste it maybe.....end this week then report back. Had a sneak taste when bottling and I think it might turn out good....though need a proper carbonated taste to try to describe the hop flavours.

It finished fermenting on day 5 so took a sample and cold crashed it to separate the yeast. The colour isn't quite 100% red, but its not bad. Will wait a few more days before bottling. FG was 1.020 so I think there are quite a lot of unfermentables in the redx malt. Start gravity was 1.058, I said target 1.060 but I see Beersmith have recently added RedX to their grain bill and using that the target gravity would have been 1.056...I'd just overwritten a pale malt underlying data with a smaller fermentablity [edit: I meant to say yield potential] adjustment than Beersmith.

Resize of P1030789.jpg

Back