Centennial IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
Just finished my second AG brew day, an IPA with centennial hops. My OG seems a little high at 1.050, was supposed to be around 1.042 and was a little short of the 23 litres I wanted. Can I add water to the FV to get it closer to the 1.042 and get closer to 23 litres?

Is the best way to boil the kettle and let it cool down a little then put into the FV before adding the yeast? That should bring the OG down a little as well shouldn't it?

adding a little boiled and cooled water would be ok. This afternoon I topped up a RedX ale with a couple of litres of tapwater as I normally do...I've never had a problem. Topping up will bring down the OG.

Yeah I like centennial a lot. I usually just top up with tap water tbh, just remember to use a sanitised vessel to transfer it in, I always sanitise a saucepan just in case I need to top up, as I did today.

I've added a bit more water which doesn't seem to have done much to the OG but I'm closer to 23 litres. I've added the yeast anyway so see how it goes...

You say adding water hasn't done much to the reading?
what was your original amount? and how much water have you added?

23Litres x 1042 = 23 x 42 = 966 total units

you got 1050 OG so
966 / 50 = 19.32

so if you got around 19.32 litres and dilute to 23 litres you will be almost spot on 1042

Back