Flame out hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I really ought to have this down pat but how long do most people leave flame out hops in?

My problem is that I start chilling, to get the wort down to <80c then chuck them in. But I then keep chilling the wort so they end up only being in hot wort for a short period.

They probably get 25 mins or so in there.

Am I getting the best out of them or do most people leave them in hotter wort for longer?

I'm not really sure if the best technique but this is what I do...
Once the boil is over I use my immersion chiller to drop the wort to 80* them chuck in the hops whilst holding it at 80* for 30 mins, then chill to pitching temperature.

I'm not really sure if the best technique but this is what I do...
Once the boil is over I use my immersion chiller to drop the wort to 80* them chuck in the hops whilst holding it at 80* for 30 mins, then chill to pitching temperature.

Yes that's more what I suspected I ought to be doing. Funny thing was when I made my first small AG batches I cooked in the bath so the hops we're the hot wort much longer. Think I'll adopt an approach more like yours.

Yes that's more what I suspected I ought to be doing. Funny thing was when I made my first small AG batches I cooked in the bath so the hops we're the hot wort much longer. Think I'll adopt an approach more like yours.

I'm really happy with the results, I'm yet to venture into dry hopping, it seems that people use one technique or the other. I'll have to try both and then taste side by side.

Oh also.... From what I have read hops with a high myrcene content are particularly good for steeping at 80*

I used to bung them in at flame out until chilled..

Now I have the chiller in the boiler before flame out as I imagine you do, turn iton at flame out down to 80 which is pretty quick.. turn off chiller toss in hops and stick lid on.. wait 20-30 mins then proceed chilling.. I have found this returns better flavour and aroma imo..

I flame out and dry hop many beers. My eldorado and Amarillo pales are going to get a hefty 4g per litre dry hop and got 2g per litre flame out. Though I want them hopped within an inch of their beery lives.

Next time im doing FO I'm going to give them a good soak at about 80. We'll see what happens...

Well, I guess this mightn't help a lot :-?
What I do is chuck in my late hops as the boil is subsiding. I then make sure that the lid on my boiling pan is tightly in place & I leave them overnight to cool. So, basically, they're in there for a hell of a long time at a complete range of temperatures. The only thing I think I need to take account of is the alpha-acid content. With low-alpha hops, obviously no problem. But I need to take care with some - e.g. Nelson Sauvin at 11% alpha - because they will contribute bitterness long after the boil.
This method suits me well. I get a big hit of hop flavour. I get more aroma as well with heavy dry hopping! :)
Yep, it's not the orthodox way - and my recipes are all designed for this method - but I do find the product very good indeed :thumb:

Very interesting thread. I've been throwing the 0 minute hops in at flame out and leaving in there for 5 minutes after stirring in then putting the wort through the Grainfather counterflow chiller so they end up being sat in wort at temperature slowly dropping from 100 c to around 90 c before all the wort is in the FV around 15 minutes later. It's not practical for me to cool to 80 c then add the hops so I would be very interested in what difference it makes.

Very interesting thread. I've been throwing the 0 minute hops in at flame out and leaving in there for 5 minutes after stirring in then putting the wort through the Grainfather counterflow chiller so they end up being sat in wort at temperature slowly dropping from 100 c to around 90 c before all the wort is in the FV around 15 minutes later. It's not practical for me to cool to 80 c then add the hops so I would be very interested in what difference it makes.

I'm not sure why you see this as a problem: Switch off the boil, use the counterflow chiller flowing back into the boiler to drop it to 80C, then stop chilling, add the hops and stir. Switch back to "mash" with a set temp of 80C, leave for 30 minutes (or however long you want), switch off heat, then switch on chiller again and pump into FV

i just throw them in after i turn the gas of and let them steep for thirty minutes before chilling :thumb:
Same here but different method. They end up being in hot wort from flame out to around 84 c (it varies) because I pump the wort out through the counterflow chiller. The flow slows as the boiler drains and it ends up being around 30 minutes that the hops are in wort before the flow stops.
I think I will continue this way as it seems to give good results.

I reckon that the reason for dropping the temp to 80°C fro flame out hops is to minimise additional bitterness. The bitterness arises when alpha acids are isomerised by PROLONGED boiling not just a few minutes at 80°C. Once you chuck the hops in as long as the temperature is going down over ( without chilling) they should be OK for 30 minutes or so.

Interesting little experiment - Whirlpool hops 100C vs 80C bitterness is supposed to be more mellow at 80C

http://www.port66.co.uk/whirlpool-hopping-80c-vs-100c/

and an article on what temp essential/volitile (flavouring hop) oils boil off at

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/01/21/late-hop-additions-and-hop-oils-in-beer-brewing/

Food for thought gents when considering what temp to add your whirlpool hops at :thumb:

Second article is interesting.. almost suggests no need to add any hops during teh boil once you added the bittering.. just hop after you flame out.

I like hoppyland's common sense approach here.

Low alpha hops, chuck em in at FO. You won't get much bittering from them regardless.
Heavy hitters (what I tend to go for), then chill a bit first as you could add some ibus without intending to. I mostly use these types of hops.

What I will change though, is that once the hops are in I'll give them a good while standing before chilling to pitching temp. Maybe if I have some time on my hands at some point, I'll do another split batch like that brulosophy article and see what difference it makes.

Latest posts

Back