St Peter's Honey Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nidd

Reaction score
I got this for Christmas, it sounds nice.
Not brewed for a few years so its like starting all over again.
I started it 3 weeks ago today and it is still bubbleing a way in the FV, although it has slowed to 5 mins between each 'Burp'..
Should i just leave it till it has totaly stopped or now keg it?
Cheers all.

Take a reading. Only way to tell if it's finished. I would leave it 2 weeks to ferment. Not going to do any harm. You don't want to keg when it's still fermenting

Hi!
+1 for waiting a couple of weeks before transferring to a keg. I would allow at least a couple af days in the cold, longer if you've got the patience, before priming and conditioning in the keg.

Cheers chaps.
I will leave it another week and then take a reading.
As you say its not doing any harm in the FV. This yeast must be active little buggers..

Well its 5 weeks since i put it in the FV..
Its still going, 5mins betweeb each bubble.
Should i move it to a cooler room to try and stop it or just let it keep going.
Can i put it in my keg whilst its still active?
Cheers.

Well its 5 weeks since i put it in the FV..
Its still going, 5mins betweeb each bubble.
Should i move it to a cooler room to try and stop it or just let it keep going.
Can i put it in my keg whilst its still active?
Cheers.
Hmmm!

This is a conundrum!

Just five minutes between "gloops" falls into the "vigorous fermentation" category in my book ...

... but after five weeks in the FV?

Hmmm!

Taking it to a cold place to stop the fermentation won't work because the minute you put it into a primed a keg or bottle the yeast will reactivate and produce CO2 from the priming sugar and CO2 from whatever it is eating at the moment.

So my gut feeling is to leave it where it is and pray that the current fermentation is being caused by the original yeast/fermentables reaction and not by something nasty that has taken over the job!

My reasoning is:

1. I don't like kegging or bottling a beer that hasn't finished fermenting because along that route is the potential for exploding kegs or bottles!

2. There is absolutely no point in kegging or bottling a beer that is "off".

Hope this helps. :thumb: :thumb: There may be different opinions though! :oops:

Thanks again to you all for your tips and advice, it is appreciated.
Well i decided to bite the bullet and keg it today.
Opened up the FV, it spelt fine had a wee taste as well and that was yummy.
All done so now to wait.
Do i go with the two days in a warm place and then 14 in cool as in the instructions?
What is your experience.

If you can pressurise your keg i would do 2 days in the warm then garage it for a week and have a taste. Leaving it longer wont harm but i often struggle to wait. I polished of my 1st kit, St peters Stout in less than a week when it was 10 days old. Get another on the go. Best of luck. :)

I've one of these in my FV for a week now. Bubbling has slowed but I'm going determined to follow the fine advice from this forum and go for 2+2+2.
Think I'll go for 90g of muscovado sugar in my barrel.
Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back