Tea bag wine stopped

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaveyDave

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 3 x tea bag wines going at the moment but two of them have stopped. One is at 1042 and the other at 1032. All are tasting good and I want them to finish sweet, but not this sweet!

Tried to pitch some yeast and nutrient but no joy.

I was thinking of making up a small yeast/water/nutrient solution to add at a slightly higher temp but not sure.

Any thoughts on how i can get them going again?

:hmm:

Obviously Not!

It may take time to get an answer as like me i doubt many here have made tea bag wine.

How much sugar did you use?

What was the OG?

What FG were you expecting?

Never had a problem with teabag wine, What tea bags did you use?

usual methods apply, give it a good swirl and put it somewhere warm near to 22C, if this doesn't work, try a starter solution as you said.

Hi guys,

I used the Twinings Tea Bags and 1kg sugar. SG on all three was 1110.

Tried the solution and that hasnt worked. I have them indoors at the moment as its too cold in the fridge that is my brew shed! I've now wrappd them in a blanket to warm them a little but more.

If the ferment doesn't continue is there another way to bring the sweetness down? Adding water perhaps?

Open to any suggestion you may have.

:grin:

Hi guys,

I used the Twinings Tea Bags and 1kg sugar. SG on all three was 1110.

Tried the solution and that hasnt worked. I have them indoors at the moment as its too cold in the fridge that is my brew shed! I've now wrappd them in a blanket to warm them a little but more.

If the ferment doesn't continue is there another way to bring the sweetness down? Adding water perhaps?

Open to any suggestion you may have.

:grin:

What yeast did you use?

From an OG of 1.110 down to 1.032 the ABV will be +/-10.2% which will make some yeasts start to slow down.

On the Wilco Wine Kits they advise adding some cooled boiled water to the FV after four or five days of fermentation and the resulting increase in fermentation can be dramatic. (I still have some stains on my worktop to prove it!)

So, if the other advice hasn't worked, maybe adding some warm (but boiled and cooled) water may get them fermenting again.

Also, there's always the chance that they are still fermenting!

With the low ambient temperatures in my garage (5.5 degrees at the moment), even with heating on in the warm cabinet the only indication I have that fermentation is continuing on 2 x 21 litre batches of beer is that the air-locks are slightly off-set and the trub is getting deeper. :thumb:

Hi Dutto,

I used Vin Classe yeast.

That's great advice. No activity in the airlocks and not much movement on the gravity, so maybe i need to be a little more patient!:whistle:

The Mango and Strawberry i might get away with preparing for bottling as it's not horribly sweet so i may leave that one a week and see where the gravity is.

I'll keep an eye on them and drop an update in a few weeks.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back