Looking for a nice english IPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike-os

Landlord.
Reaction score
ANy suggestions for a good english ipa? ie something not as overbittered and hopped as americans

quite like something along the lines of old empire or similar

Yes I did it.. very nice.. you could try another hop if you wanted or something similar but EKG is a great hop anyway.. I only have 2 bottles of it left

I have just used the Homebrew Recipe system to work out a Partial Mash that uses up some of the stuff I have kicking around in the garage.

I was amazed at how easy it was to use.

I'm aiming for a Pale Ale that I can brew over the next four weeks and then bottle it until we get back sometime around June. These are the Ingredients and statistics:

1.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Light
0.5 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light
1.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Amber
1 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
0.80 kg United Kingdom - Cara Malt
0.2 kg Flaked Oats

The grains will be mashed for 75 minutes and then all ingredients boiled for 45 minutes.

The expected ABV will be +/-5.5% for a 21 litre brew; so it should bottle well for a few months.

50 grams of EKG leaf for 45 minutes, 30 grams of Chinook Pellets for 15 minutes and then 50 grams of Fuggles leaf cold hopped for four days should return an IBU of 48 which will (hopefully) be neither too bitter nor too aromatic.

Everything is weighed out and ready to rock and roll later this morning so "Here's hoping!" as usual.

These are the Ingredients and statistics:

1.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Light
0.5 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light
1.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Amber
1 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
0.80 kg United Kingdom - Cara Malt
0.2 kg Flaked Oats

The grains will be mashed for 75 minutes and then all ingredients boiled for 45 minutes.

The expected ABV will be +/-5.5% for a 21 litre brew; so it should bottle well for a few months.

50 grams of EKG leaf for 45 minutes, 30 grams of Chinook Pellets for 15 minutes and then 50 grams of Fuggles leaf cold hopped for four days should return an IBU of 48 which will (hopefully) be neither too bitter nor too aromatic.

Everything is weighed out and ready to rock and roll later this morning so "Here's hoping!" as usual.

Did the deed today.

At the moment it is quite dark for a "Pale Ale" but more worrying is that the predicted OG was 1.060 whereas the actual OG was 1.065!

Fermented down to a FG of 1.017 this moves the ABV from a predicted 5.64% to 6.3%; so add another 0.5% for carbonation in the bottles and we are at a whopping (for me) 6.8% ABV.

I reckon I am going to have to treat it with a great deal of respect as it will be approaching double what I normally brew! :doh::doh:

Did the deed today.

At the moment it is quite dark for a "Pale Ale" but more worrying is that the predicted OG was 1.060 whereas the actual OG was 1.065!

Fermented down to a FG of 1.017 this moves the ABV from a predicted 5.64% to 6.3%; so add another 0.5% for carbonation in the bottles and we are at a whopping (for me) 6.8% ABV.

I reckon I am going to have to treat it with a great deal of respect as it will be approaching double what I normally brew! :doh::doh:

Happens to me all the time😄 how I suffer for my hobby 😉

0.5% for carbonation. That's quite high isn't it? I thought it was more like ~0.2% for 100g of cane sugar into a 23L brew.

Latest posts

Back