Lent .....anyone quitting anything?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niman

Reaction score
first of all i should add i'm not religious per se.

but usually quit something just for the hell of it..

not even going to try quit beer

this year its chocolate...

and smoking..

grumpy times ahead.

will prob fail the smoking one...

anyone else quitting summat?

icon_lol.gif

Having to have fish on Friday is bad enough.

First of all some do gooder wants you to give up alcohol for January, then lent. Next it'll time for Dry July.
I've given up before for Dry July twice. I also gave up for 5 months when I lost my job. I think I've done my bit.
My missus doesn't drink anymore so I'll just delegate my non drinking month to her.

I'll happily give up chocolate. If I don't have chocolate it doesn't really worry me. But if a bar is opened I'll eat the lot.

I dont eat chocolate,i dont eat cakes,i dont eat biscuits,and 12 months ago i had to give up cheese all for health reasons,they never mentioned beer:lol: carry on

I'm giving up giving a **** about anything!!! Just going to brew from now on. Last year was **** fest!!!

In our house, we are trying to eat for £1 per day per person during Lent - with Sundays off.

The money we save is going to local homeless charity. Blogging about it here: https://onepoundoneday.wordpress.com/

Won't be drinking much beer - but have some cider left from the autumn made with free apples!

So far we are one week in.

Initial thoughts are that it's possible for our family to eat for £3 a day - although in week one our daily spend was often around £3.20.

The challenge is whether we can do it healthily - fresh fruit is expensive. Hoping to get a nutritionist from the local university on board to give us weekly feedback.

Cheers

Martin

In our house, we are trying to eat for �������£1 per day per person during Lent - with Sundays off.

The money we save is going to local homeless charity. Blogging about it here: https://onepoundoneday.wordpress.com/

Won't be drinking much beer - but have some cider left from the autumn made with free apples!

Initial thoughts are that it's possible for our family to eat for �������£3 a day - although in week one our daily spend was often around �������£3.20.

The challenge is whether we can do it healthily - fresh fruit is expensive. Hoping to get a nutritionist from the local university on board to give us weekly feedback.

Cheers

Martin

Brilliant! :thumb: What a great idea; but that's a heck of a target!!

I'm not a nutritionist but we do keep a close eye on what we eat so here goes with some cheap and cheerful items that we use:

o Dried pulses. It takes forethought to put them in to soak overnight (bicarbonate of soda speeds up the soaking process) but they are highly nutritional with loads of fibre. The nutritional values are very similar so avoid the exotic (and expensive) ones.

o Daft as it sounds, tinned tomatoes are nutritionally better than fresh due to the travel and on show time. They are also extremely cheap and can bulk up almost any meal.

o Spices. Avoid the mixtures and the arm and a leg prices charged because someone else has mixed them. The addition of a small amount of spice can lift a meal to a different level altogether. e.g. A small amount of cayenne pepper goes a long way to livening up any dish!

o For meat buy a whole chicken. Roast it as a "first pass", make gravy from the juices (lift out the chicken, stir in a heaped dessertspoon of ordinary plain flour then add 500ml of water and bring it to the boil). With decent portion control a single chicken can provide a lot of meals.

o After removing 98% of the meat from the chicken simmer the carcass for at least an hour with a few whole carrots and a chicken stock cube, strain off the liquor, pick out the carrots and the remaining meat off the carcass, add a few pulses to the liquor and return it to the stove. Blitz it all with a blender when the pulses are tender and "Bingo!" a gallon of nourishing soup!

o As you pointed out, fruit and vegetables are expensive but necessary for good health. (Over ten years ago, in Dunbar, I noticed that a local shop was selling individual apples at 50p each!! No wonder they fry Mars Bars up there!) Weirdly, one of the cheapest fruits seems to be bananas that have come halfway round the world; but dried prunes mixed in with breakfast porridge will give the required nutrients and at the same time remove the need for sugar.

I hope that the above tips are beneficial, best of luck with your challenge and please keep us posted on progress. :thumb: :thumb:

In our house, we are trying to eat for ���£1 per day per person during Lent - with Sundays off.

Initial thoughts are that it's possible for our family to eat for ���£3 a day - although in week one our daily spend was often around ���£3.20.

Cheers

Martin

Get in touch with CheapBrew. He runs a water mill as a local preservation project and I bought 25KG of milling wheat from him. He was good enough to parcel up a sack and courier it to me. I am making very good bread with it and I reckon the loaves cost about £0.20 each for a 350gramme loaf (dry weight of wheat in loaf). You will need a mill to do this though and wheat is hard work to mill. If you have a malt mill, you may be able to adjust it to mill fine enough, or you could mill it as fine as possible in your malt mill and then put it in a liquidiser.... Not sure how well that would work. Anyway - 20 p for several hundred healthy calories is pretty cheap eating.

I also put it whole into soups and they become really substantial. I'm doing this because I like to go back to the real ingredients and not because I am cheap or poor, but it is cheap and I am amused by that. You can knock up a lovely vegetable and wheat soup with four carrots, some broccoli three onions, celery, garlic, chilli, some oil. Fry the onions slowly in oil and when they are lightly caramelised and fully soft add the spices and maybe a dash of curry powder. Some cumin seeds - just a pinch will add to the flavour. Before you start, rinse 120grammes of wheat in water and leave to soak for an hour or so. When the onions are done, add chopped carrots and other veg also chopped, stir in the soaked wheat and place in a microwave tub with litre of boiling water and run the microwave full for about twenty five minutes. Microwaves use a lot less electricity than a hob, but of course you can boil this on the hob or gas ring just as well. Simmer until it becomes soup. You can blitz it with one of those blitzer wand things that smash up the veg and the wheat grains. An hour and a half of cooking will see it done. If done on the hob, beware of the wheat catching on the bottom of the pan if you have blitzed it - it might do as it thickens up.

Did I mention salt and pepper? Do to your taste. I like both and find this a very satisfying and warming winter broth. You will need to add water to your taste. The wheat tends to thicken it up a whole lot.

A cubic inch of Stilton crumbled up and dropped in makes it a real tasty meal.

Brilliant! :thumb: What a great idea; but that's a heck of a target!!

I'm not a nutritionist but we do keep a close eye on what we eat so here goes with some cheap and cheerful items that we use: :thumb: :thumb:

snipped out recipe for brevity

Great ideas there Dutto. My kind of food that.

Also - frozen veg is VERY fresh and wholesome. Big bags of peas and bags of green beans are very nutritious and cost next to nothing. Its about £1.50 for a big bag at the supermarket even and we know how much they charge for veg.

I've lost about a stone since August by replacing rice and spaghetti with my evening meal with green beans cooked like this:

Boil beans until soft in stock made with stock cube. I like chicken stock myself. When done drain off stock and stir in a big knob of butter and lightly fry through for about four minutes. They stop tasting boring like beans and taste pretty good.

Serve with meat or fish - especially if there is a nice sauce with it.

Quite the opposite, I'm ramping up for Spring....
Hope to have my brewfridge ready shortly and then start a few extract brews.

Thanks Guys,

Lots of good ideas there! We are indeed eating lots of pulses + frozen veg. Meat is stuff like liver, bacon bits etc. Hope to try ox tail next week.

The cheapest flour we have found is Lidl - 500g loaf for 30p.

Cheers

Martin

Back