Festival razor back ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbaz

Reaction score
Hi all I've done this kit it's been in the fv for 2 weeks now and stuck at 1.020 for about 7 days is this done or should I give it some yeast restarter or just leave it it doesn't seem to be doing anything please help this is the first time of brewing anything other than cider thanks in advance

Give it a gentle stir and put the FV somewhere warm or increase the heat if you have brew belt or heater. However, be warned that it's quite hard to get a brew to restart after it gets stuck (I've had limited success where this has happened with Wherry in the past). I have bottled beer that I couldn't get any lower than 1018. I kept a close eye on it during warm conditioning but I didn't get any bottle bombs and it tasted pretty good.

Good luck!

I have given it a gentle stur and I don't have any form of brew belt or pad so I put a heater on low near it with a thermonitor traveling threw air lock going to keep a close eye on it now thankyou

It's always sat around 20 degrees but I'm warming up to 22 now obviously it was cooling during the night a bit of carpentry this weekend going to make a air tight cupboard with temperature control but what sort of heater should I use and same goes for summer how should I keep it cool enough

The easiest way to control heat is with an aquarium heater. This is what I use in a water bath - which can be a garden trug or large plastic storage box. My FV sits in on a couple of bricks in the water with the heater positioned beneath it. The heaters are thermostatically controlled so you don't need to worry about turning them on and off. It's perfect for this time of year when the house is plenty cool enough and I just need a means of keeping the brew warm enough rather than having to cool it.

Chilling a brew is a little harder (I just took the summer months off last year having stockpiled during spring). You can add ice blocks to your water bath but it's a bit of an art to get a good consistent temp. This year I'm going to build a temp controlled brew fridge using an old chest freezer.

I've put some yeast restarter in still nothin happening could I add more yeast or is it dead it started at 1.042 and now 1.020 so that's only 2.9%abv if I remember correctly

1042 sounds low , I'am in Brighton so can't check my notes
But I think my brew started out about 1060
Check the hydrometer in tap water

Anyone got any comments on the beer itself?

I was looking forward to it after the Golden Stag. But the yeast was dead (made a starter out of habit but nothing happened), so used some danstar californian IPA yeast. Fermented at 18C for a ~10 days in the brew-fridge, then upped that to 22C when adding the dry hops to get the yeast to clean it up nicely.Bottled it, left it in the kitchen (16-18C) for a week, then back in to the brew-fridge at 22C for a week to completely finish conditioning.

Either the danstar yeast us very clean fermenting, or I've fermented it too perfectly, but all I'm getting is a bit of malt, bit of bitterness, lot of hops, little or no yeast/ale flavours to it. It's very nice, but it's not quite as nice as the Golden Stag. Wondering if anyone else found that of if it's my yeast or fermenting.

Anyone got any comments on the beer itself?

I was looking forward to it after the Golden Stag. But the yeast was dead (made a starter out of habit but nothing happened), so used some danstar californian IPA yeast. Fermented at 18C for a ~10 days in the brew-fridge, then upped that to 22C when adding the dry hops to get the yeast to clean it up nicely.Bottled it, left it in the kitchen (16-18C) for a week, then back in to the brew-fridge at 22C for a week to completely finish conditioning.

Either the danstar yeast us very clean fermenting, or I've fermented it too perfectly, but all I'm getting is a bit of malt, bit of bitterness, lot of hops, little or no yeast/ale flavours to it. It's very nice, but it's not quite as nice as the Golden Stag. Wondering if anyone else found that of if it's my yeast or fermenting.

Perhaps the change of yeast has changed the taste. I've just bottled my second batch of Razorback after being so impressed with the first one. However, it's been quite a while since I last drank a bottle (they disappeared very quickly :whistle:). In terms of taste, they were definitely a hop explosion - a real citrus grapefruit bite when young and then mellowed nicely as they conditioned with more tropical notes coming through.

I bottled mine last week
I had two bottles tonight , soooooo nice
I would do this kit once a week if I could fund it lol

Latest posts

Back