No bubbling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinkupeanut

Reaction score
Hi I started my brew on Saturday 3 days ago and have yet to see any bubbling! I haven't Got anywhere warm enough I think but will be using a heat belt from tomorrow, but is my brew now ruined or will it just take longer?

If it has been too cold then the yeast won't be able to work properly. The yeast will still be able to ferment up to around 16-17C though so you might want to take the temperature before you invest in heating belts. There is a guide here which covers the issue of slow starting fermentation here that may help you out.

This is my 1st brew so making errors already. I didn't take a reading and need to purchase a thermometer strip. Lid is on tight but it's a cold house unless I have heating all the time which isn't an option so currently have a blanket wrapped around it. Will check out your guide thank you

Lid is on tight
1. Lid might look as though it's on tight but it might still be leaking. That's exactly what mine do i.e look tight but leak.
2. Have you taken a peek inside your FV, by slightly lifting the lid? Is there any sign of bubbling or even a krausen, or is your brew clear? If former then fermentation is underway however slowly, if latter then its not going. Note you are extremely unlikely to contaminate your brew by taking a quick peek inside, so feel OK when you do this.
3. Be assured that you have to make serious errors before you ruin your beer, and imo where you may be at present on your 1st brew is not one of them. :thumb:

Just took a sneaky peak, it's frothy and some bubbles on top with a scum (murky residue type thing ) around the sides near the top, is this right? Lid was tight all round.

Also got a thermometer currently resting on top of the fermenter not sure where best to put this?

Sounds like it's more or less complete. I would leave it for a total of 2 weeks. Take a reading with a hydrometer. Sterilise the thermometer and put inside the wort to get a temperature

Just took a sneaky peak, it's frothy and some bubbles on top with a scum (murky residue type thing ) around the sides near the top, is this right? Lid was tight all round.
Wot Leon said, and....
If has fermented out and you saw no bubbles through the airlock, then your lid is leaking, however good you think the seal is. If you want the re-assurance of a bubbling airlock you could try what I do when the primary has subsided i.e.take the lid off the FV, put cling film around the edge of the FV and then replace the lid. This ensures a seal (assuming of course the airlock to lid seal is tight). As a result the change in the bubble rate can go from near nothing to very frequent, since all the CO2 is forced to go through the lock

The only real way to know whats going on is with taking an initial gravity reading and then taking further tests as the brew progresses.

the co2 produced will find the easiest way out of the bucket and with water in an airlock providing some resistance if there is another les restricted way out the co2 will find it ;)

if you dont have a fv tap to draw off samples from get a turkey baster for the brewkit, you can then crack the lid and draw a couple of baster fulls out for your sample. always drink the sample it is informative, nice, and means you only need sanitise the baster used to draw the samples, and returning samples is a nasty habit imho..

happy brewing..

Done a reading at 20 degrees was 1.020 is sort of right? I've looked at hydrometer readings and got baffled to be honest think it's something I will have to learn as I go along

What are you brewing?
Did you take an SG reading at the start, if so what was it?
SG 1.020 means it has some way to go.
According to what you are brewing and the yeast in the main, you should expect an FG of somewhere around 1.010/1.012, but it could be lower or higher!!
And the advice is still to leave it for 14 days.

Done a reading at 20 degrees was 1.020 is sort of right? I've looked at hydrometer readings and got baffled to be honest think it's something I will have to learn as I go along

that depends on what your brewing but generally 1.020 is a bit high.

what are you brewing?

you can calibrate your hydrometer. they are usually meant to be read at 20degC. so put it in water at that temp and it should read 1.000. if it reads 1.002 then you should subtract .002 from your readings

Yes will leave it at least another week think I've only just got the temperature up so it's a late starter I'm lending a heat belt tomorrow as I'm not convinced it's warm enough where it is and have no where else. Will also try calibrate idea. I'm brewing a pale ale

If you started 3 days ago and the gravity has dropped to 1.020, the yeast have been working away very happily, your OG (original gravity) was probably 1.044 or higher.

So with a target FG probably around the 1.010 -12 mark the yeast have done most of the work.

Adding a heat belt could easily be counter-productive yes the yeast will speed up with a bit more heat but at higher temps they can produce flavours you may not want. always safer to ferment at the lower end of a temp range suggested on a yeast pack or kit ;)

As some folk can leave the beer in the first bucket for 2-3weeks before even checking the gravity your on target for bottling at the weekend already

OK thanks for that agreed if it's working I won't change anything and wait a week I was only using the belt as I thought nothing was happening!

I've just done another reading (being a bit impatient ) and it's now 1.12 so I'm happy with that but going to leave it couple more days to be sure. I also had a little taste it definitely tastes like beer but a little harsh I'm hoping this is just cos it's not completed!

I've just done another reading (being a bit impatient ) and it's now 1.12 so I'm happy with that but going to leave it couple more days to be sure. I also had a little taste it definitely tastes like beer but a little harsh I'm hoping this is just cos it's not completed!
At 1.012 your brew is not far off finished, if not finished. I would leave it until Tues/Wed next week and then take SG readings again on consecutive days. If they are the same then it is safe to bottle at your convenience. Although the primary may have finished the yeast continues to work on the brew and improves its flavour known on here as 'cleaning up after itself', and will also clear from the brew giving less yeast carry over into the bottles.

I've had a off pint in the past and the taste I had slightly reminded me of this so I'm just hoping it changes jnce completed and bottled but it's my 1st attempt so I'm not expecting a great ale
Cheers

Back