Coopers Cerveza primary fermentation stuck?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PortersBrew

Reaction score
I've checked the SG on Friday of my Cerveza, then also Sunday and last night (Tuesday) and each time the reading has been 1020,1018,1018.

The temperature in the room has dropped recently but the FV temp has not gone below 18 degrees. I'm not sure if the fermenting has stopped due to the temp or wherever it has just finished fermenting (still a bit high at 1018?)? I'm wary of bottling at 1018 to be honest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Assuming you used Coopers yeast, it is not known for being responsible for stuck fermentations, although you may have been unlucky!
So, first, what was the OG of your brew? If you brewed short or added lots of additional fermentables to the wort the yeast may have attenuated as much as it is going to.
If you do think its stuck you could try moving into a warmer place, and/or rousing gently with a sanitised spoon avoiding getting air in the brew, or gently swirling the FV and contents, and it may slowly restart.
Whatever you do I would leave it for about 14 days before you bottle assuming the SG has really stabilised.
And assuming you usually bottle in all glass you could use one or two PET bottles this time so that you can monitor the carbonation in your bottles.

Hi Terry, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The OG was 1040 and the brew was using the contents of the kit, including kit yeast. The only addition to the kit was a bag of Coopers Brew Enhancer 1. The Coopers instructions were followed and a total of 23 litres of brew.

I can bottle using PET bottles as I do have a box of 40 of them at home.

Well the FV was warmed gently back to 21°C and left for another 2 days, but after reading the SG again on Saturday it still had a SG of 1018.

It had been in the FV for 2 weeks so i have bottled into 500ml PET bottles and will leave for a week in the warm and then move them into a colder area. I have primed 6 of the bottles with demerara sugar just to see what the difference is (if any). The rest of the bottles had a Coopers Carbonation drop used.

Latest posts

Back