My first supermarket juice cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clydebrewer

Reaction score
I bought this stuff at Morrison's today, it says its from concentrate and raspberry pulp with no preservatives.
Is it a good idea to make cider from this and what do I need to add?
Anyone tried it?

IMG_20160210_201704.jpg

I'm sure that'll work.

I've made various ciders from supermarket juice, I keep a stock of cider yeast sachets in, in case I see juices on offer... the best that I did was a demijohn of cheap Lidl apple juice, to which I added a generous portion of chopped ginger root. A really tangy apple cider, simple but a fantastic kick.

Your alternative, if you want to make cyser, is to add two jars of honey to it. Let it do it's work and then bottle it and serve really heavily chilled, like a schnapps... :smile:

I have a supply of Pectolase, Malic Acid, cider yeast and sparkling wine yeast and a five litre fermentation vessel. I've bought 6 litres of the juice mix and six of apple juice as they were on 3 for £2.
Is there a simple recipe which will give me a drinkable outcome or is it a matter of experimentation?

Cheapbrew is right, you will probably get a fair bit of sediment. I did when I brewed with grapefruit juice. That's one of the reasons I bought a 15 litre FV. I didn't feel a DJ was big enough when dealing with all the sediment.

Anyhow you've got the ingredients so best get started. I don't think you'll get a definitive recipe for making it. One extra ingredient I would buy is glycerin. I've added that to my latest cider.

Here's some of the recipes for cider I've found on here and kept. Just take a look at them and make it up as you go along. The names of the posters are in blue. The comments are theirs.

LarryF

Brewing 8L.
7L Apple juice plus 1L to top up
400g sugar (49p kg in lidl)
2tsp pectolase
2tsp glycerin
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 cup strong tea (2 x Yorkshire left to stew)
1tbsp lemon juice
yeast - Coopers or Youngs left over from my beer kits

I brewed it for three weeks and then bottled into 1L soda water bottles with 1tsp of sugar and three canderel tablets per bottle. Two weeks later it was good to go. I like it over ice with a dash of lemonade.

engineer

1/2 a large bramley apple chopped up
2 litres tesco pressed AJ
2 litres Princes AJ
80g sugar
Tannin - The juice from 2 tea bags in a mug of black tea
Malic Acid - 1 tsp
Pectolase - 1/2 tsp
Youngs wine yeast - 1 tsp
Yeast nutrient - 1 tsp

This was brewed using a 5 litre water bottle as the fermenting vessel.
It comes out at around 6% according to my notes.

I tried some recently that had been primed and bottled for 3 months.
To me and others it was as good as if not better than some commercial brews.

TheSalad

10litres of Apple Juice (59p/litre from Quality Save, 100% stuff).
250g raisins
125g sugar (not really necessary but still)
1tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp pectolase (I don’t think this is necessary given I’m making it from juice but better safe than sorry)
2tsp glycerin
1 large mug of very strong very stewed tea.
Gervin GV4 yeast.

Thanks Pete, I've got two 5 litre bottles of spring water so I'm going to do a St Peter's Ruby kit with those and use the containers.
I'll make one of the mixed fruit and one pure apple and report back.

i have a raspberry and apple tc bottles the now so hopefully it will turn out good, would be interesting to see how the pulp turns out.

anyway i used:
1L coop apple juice
2L coop apple and raspberry juice
cup of strong tea for tannin
100g sugar

SG was 1040 and FG was 0998
primed it before bottling but doesnt seem to be carbed yet...

hope this gives you a bit of an idea

I decided to try it with just apple juice first

First Apple Juice Cider

4 litres of Morrison's Apple Juice
1tsp Pectolase
1tsp yeast nutrient
½ tsp Malic Acid
1 mug of strong English Breakfast tea
Gervin Cider yeast

Pitched at around 20°C on 15/02/2016

I intend to top up the apple juice once the initial activity dies down a bit.
Will report back as things go on.........

I use this juice to make a WOW, probably my wife's favourite and I've made many types. Doesn't leave loads of sediment either like some juices with puree in them. Nice hint of raspberry too.
I make my tc with plain aj and flavour when I pour it in the glass if I want something different, I find this works best.

Latest posts

Back