Hello from Manchester!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry74

Reaction score
Just joined this tonight, got my kit started last night. ( Wilko Cerveza) - wanted something cheap that matures reasonably quickly for my first stab at hombrew since impoverished student dabbles with it some twenty years ago. I'm sure I'm going to have loads of dumb questions before very long so thought I would join this forum for tips and advice. Kit brewing for now, maybe get a bit more fancy at a later date if I take to brewing as a hobby.
One question I do have is if anyone thinks the water around Manchester is problematic. It's soft water so i shouldnt think its too bad but does anyone bother using bottled water to get a better brew.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I'm going to have loads of dumb questions before very long so thought I would join this forum

There is no such thing as a dumb question, we all know little about this hobby when we start and learn as we go, ask away. :thumb:

maybe get a bit more fancy at a later date if I take to brewing as a hobby.

You will believe me you will. :lol:

Welcome
hi.gif

Just joined this tonight, got my kit started last night. ( Wilko Cerveza) - wanted something cheap that matures reasonably quickly for my first stab at hombrew since impoverished student dabbles with it some twenty years ago. I'm sure I'm going to have loads of dumb questions before very long so thought I would join this forum for tips and advice. Kit brewing for now, maybe get a bit more fancy at a later date if I take to brewing as a hobby.
One question I do have is if anyone thinks the water around Manchester is problematic. It's soft water so i shouldnt think its too bad but does anyone bother using bottled water to get a better brew.
Thanks!
Welcome.
If you haven't found this yet and are starting with kits you may find some of your questions are answered.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526
My tip to you for the time being is don't bother with bottled water unless your tap water not pleasant to drink, or it smells of chemicals. If you drink your tap water without a second thought you can make beer with it.

Thanks everyone! My wilko kit still bubbling away and according to the instructions going to be finished in next two days or so. My plan is to not rush into bottling, I gather theres no harm done to leave it sitting a few days after primary fermentation done. I'd rather wait till next weekend and bottle then. Batch priming appeals to me because adding sugar to each bottle sounds a bit too much like hard work downside is buying another FV.
How long to leave in the second FV if I batch prime? This can reduce sediment? I'm fairly adverse to sediment! It was one of the reasons I gave my homebrew kit away in the 1990, makes me feel queasy to see it floating about in a glass.
Incidently, the stuff in the hipster bars for a fiver a bottle has a fair amount of it too!

You don't leave it in the bottling bucket. It only goes in there at bottling time. If you want to minimise sediment, leave it in the FV longer. Put it somewhere cold for a few days. Some people use finings and low temperatures. Then siphon carefully to bottling bucket, don't drag sediment up!

You don't leave it in the bottling bucket. It only goes in there at bottling time. If you want to minimise sediment, leave it in the FV longer. Put it somewhere cold for a few days. Some people use finings and low temperatures. Then siphon carefully to bottling bucket, don't drag sediment up!

Thanks! I'm going to struggle to find a colder place, maybe the kitchen...my FV has a tap and the shop i got it from told me this was a decent way of minimising sediment. Tap is about an inch up from the bottom.

Thanks! I'm going to struggle to find a colder place, maybe the kitchen...my FV has a tap and the shop i got it from told me this was a decent way of minimising sediment. Tap is about an inch up from the bottom.

Yes it will help. Attach a siphon tube to the tap and allow it to run into the bottom of the bottling bucket, after putting your priming solution in the bottling bucket. Nice and easy.

Latest posts

Back