Temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JapanBrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Very interesting!
It makes you wonder about these big craft breweries spending a fortune on consistency doesn't it?!
When you think that everyone's palate and sense of smell is different, what really is considered consistent?

A very interesting read. In terms of big brewers and consistency, my only guess is they find something that sells well, so they want to keep it exactly the same to sell more. It makes me wonder about the 'tight' mash window we keep hearing about though, as I very rarely make the same brew twice, and therefore consistency = no issue!

A very interesting read. In terms of big brewers and consistency, my only guess is they find something that sells well, so they want to keep it exactly the same to sell more. It makes me wonder about the 'tight' mash window we keep hearing about though, as I very rarely make the same brew twice, and therefore consistency = no issue!

Yeah this would be my train of thought too.. a bit like a reicpe or something you measure precise amounts to make the recipe exactly how you want it..

If there was a lack of control it may have an impact and a lot of variables which could ultimately negatively impact..

Interesting indeed. The most striking parameters to me relate to the final SG readings between the two brews, which are, in reality, the most repeatable and tangible scientific outputs.

For home brewers, the message is simple, for high ABV mash low temp, for deep texture / flavour, mash high temp. This is entirely consistent with my primitive observations from stove top brewing.

As a pragmatist, you can combine both by mashing at high temps, then chucking 500g of table sugar in to boost the ABV. Worked for me, albeit accidentally, due to a dodgy thermometer, but unlikely to win many brewing awards.:lol:

A commercial brewery has to deliver a consistent product, so consistent mash temps, because of the excise laws.

Indeed. Until I researched going commercial, I didn't realise how much a decimal rise in ABV could hit you in the pocket....TEDBP where are you now?

Indeed. Until I researched going commercial, I didn't realise how much a decimal rise in ABV could hit you in the pocket....TEDBP where are you now?

It's only recently I've realized, because of the tax man, why you don't see many (if at all) high ABV beers in the pub- you don't even get many beers beyond 4%-odd. I initially thought it was because of the cost of the raw materials.

TEDBP is freezing his nugget hops off in his garage :lol:

Back