Hi from Edinburgh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBEdinburgh

Reaction score
Hi folks
What a great forum! I have been looking round this for a couple of weeks and already I think learned a lot. Even at 60 every day's a school day.

This started for me after a trip to Greene King in November which made me think about home brewing (after a gap of 43 years when the kits were pretty hopeless and I was too impatient).

Anyway, started my first kit of Youngs APA on Wednesday and its happily bubbling away in hot tank cupboard at 18-20c (started at 1050 and is that temp warm enough?). Did a 2 hour groupon starter course at our brew store last Saturday which was brilliant and gave me the courage to dive in so fingers crossed.
So.... Hello 😬

Welcome,
My first kit was the Young's APA and it was great.
Temperature is fine and patience is your friend.
I'm now on kit number 9, now two fermentation vessels and starting brew number 10 this weekend.
It's a bit addictive.

Welcome on board, that's a decent brew shop in Edinburgh I got my starter kit from there. They were very helpful in assisting me in selecting the best kit for me.

Not tried the Youngs APA yet but their American IPA is excellent so you should have a really good beer to start off with.

You only come to Scotland from May to August? You obviously like the rain then......

Almost all friends and relatives are in the East (Moray, Aberdeenshire, Fife & East Lothian) where the rain is minimal ... :thumb:

... and the lovely long days of summer give us time to sit out and enjoy whatever good weather we can find! :thumb::thumb:

Welcome to the Forum Mate you will get a lot of really good information from the forum, I stay in the Falkirk area and like you have just started brewing beer my first kit was a coopers lager I am new brewing a St Peters Ruby Ale which gets good reviews hopefully it will turn out.
I retired in July 2014 and thought I would have a go at brewing my own beer I have also made several gallons of wine

Welcome to the Forum Mate you will get a lot of really good information from the forum, I stay in the Falkirk area and like you have just started brewing beer my first kit was a coopers lager I am new brewing a St Peters Ruby Ale which gets good reviews hopefully it will turn out.
I retired in July 2014 and thought I would have a go at brewing my own beer I have also made several gallons of wine

At least you have a Wilkos there,nowt in Stirling except the extortionate health food shop:thumb:

Hi folks
What a great forum! I have been looking round this for a couple of weeks and already I think learned a lot. Even at 60 every day's a school day.

This started for me after a trip to Greene King in November which made me think about home brewing (after a gap of 43 years when the kits were pretty hopeless and I was too impatient).

Anyway, started my first kit of Youngs APA on Wednesday and its happily bubbling away in hot tank cupboard at 18-20c (started at 1050 and is that temp warm enough?). Did a 2 hour groupon starter course at our brew store last Saturday which was brilliant and gave me the courage to dive in so fingers crossed.
So.... Hello 😬

welcome mate, is that the shop in clerk street in edinburgh ? ive been thinking about doing one of their courses. was it good ?

And the midgies! :lol:

Ah, but I'm here on the West Coast!

Doesn't always rain on the west coast. Here's the view of Skye through our kitchen window this afternoon.

tmp_5114-FB_IMG_14553213476362136618916.jpg

Thanks to all for warm welcome. just need to be patient now and continue to read, learn and enjoy the crack on here. In the meantime I need to buy some beer :-(

Welcome aboard IB, your Youngs APA sounds like it's kicking off nicely, time to start planning your next brew. Keep us updated on how things are going.

Thanks LarryF, will do. Simple stuff like temp control was my problem all these years ago - and now. I found that on the floor of the hot tank cupboard it was cooling to just 18c but raised it on small table and now settled at 22c. Hubble bubble!

You're right about planning next one - off to read some more. Cheers

Doesn't always rain on the west coast. Here's the view of Skye through our kitchen window this afternoon.

Wow! Great view Rob, it was decent here on Thursday. I had a microlight for a while and had some great flights on the west coast. Beautiful.

Latest posts

Back