My Next Brew - any suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alhenderson

Reaction score
I've so far done 3 homebrews, so still a novice, but all have been eminently drinkable, which I class as a success :) My last one was an American Pale Ale (or IPA, can't quite remember). Anyway, it was good, but nigh on 7%. For my next brew I'd like to do something that's a bit easier on the alcohol and suitable for summer BBQ drinking.

Anyone got any suggestions? I've never done a lager, maybe I should try one? Are there any major differences in the brewing/bottling processes between ales and lagers?

Cheers,
Al.

Now there's a seriously difficult question to answer!

So many variables (are you brewing all grain, extract, kit or some bastardised version of all three?); what styles of beer do you like?

Brewing a 'proper lager' is quite different from ale and requires a bit more temperature control however I find I can make a pretty decent pseudo lager with an ale yeast, or even if using a proper lager yeast by brewing at around 16C.

Lagers can be challenging but an ale such as a blonde or cream ale can be very lager like, refreshing, low to mid ABV and perfect for summer. Both of these styles can be done in the same time as pale ales. Search recipe section of forum for these or look in Greg Hughes book for sample recipes.

Lagers are brewed at lower temperatures than ales and for longer and any problems such as high temperatures can lead to off flavours. I'm not saying don't try it but I would get a few simpler beers under my belt first

Sorry, should have given more information :-) I'm a kit brewer. If Lager is more sensitive to temps than ale I might well struggle, especially with the warmer weather (presumably) on its way. I have seen the Youngs New World Saison kit which looks interesting (although I have no idea what a Saison tastes like!). The last two kits I've done were the Youngs one and I had no problems with them whatsoever.

I like IPAs and 'golden' beers, typically with lower ABVs (4% ish) because I can't drink as much as I used to :-) Am a fan of the American IPAs and pale ales such as Goose Island etc, which has driven my last two kit choices.

If you want to try a lager go for the Coopers Australian Lager, it has an ale yeast so brews at 20C, but tastes like a lager. Or you could try Coopers Canadian Blonde which is a nice light ale. I add a jar of clear honey to the FV at the start and it goes really well.

I was also really impressed with the Youngs Harvest Lager. Again comes with an ale yeast but tastes like a good lager.

For a more authentic lager, Coopers European Lager or Pilsner come with genuine lager yeasts and both have turned out well brewed at about 16C under my stairs.

I have recently brewed the John Bull IPA, which I dry hopped with some american hops and it turned out great. I brewed short so came in about 5.2% but if you brew as instructions it will hit 4% mark.

That Canadian Blonde looks interesting, might give that a go. It looks like the kit is just malt extract, and nothing else. I'm going to show my ignorance here, but I seem to recall the youngs kits coming with more than that (memory's dreadful - did they have two tins of something?). Do I just need this coopers kit and some sugar (which is what the Home Brew Shop website seems to say)?

Al.

Yeah the Coopers kits are basically 1.7kg of hopped malt extract, plus a wee sachet of yeast. You can then decide what you add to make up the ABV to desired level. 1kg of Coopers brew enhancer will take it to around 4% ABV. Some folk just chuck in 1kg of tate & lyle sugar but that will result in a far inferior beer. At the other end, 1.5kg of liquid malt extract would result in a similar ABV but would be much more expensive. A coopers kit will cost you between £10-£13 plus whatever you add to it.

The Youngs, like their AIPA etc are premium kits which come with everything you need, but obviously cost a bit more.

If you want to try a lager go for the Coopers Australian Lager, it has an ale yeast so brews at 20C, but tastes like a lager. Or you could try Coopers Canadian Blonde which is a nice light ale. I add a jar of clear honey to the FV at the start and it goes really well.

Canadian Blonde duly ordered :smile: Out of interest, what does adding the honey do?

Al.

Back