Bottling Nog what primer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentbarrel

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm about to bottle a Norfolk Nog, has anyone got any recommendations as to what primer to use? Spray malt, brown sugar or just plain old granulated sugar?

Evening all,

I'm about to bottle a Norfolk Nog, has anyone got any recommendations as to what primer to use? Spray malt, brown sugar or just plain old granulated sugar?

Not done a Woodfordes Norfolk Nog but on their Sundew Golden Ale and their Wherry Bitter I used a light spray malt and they both cleared well and delivered a great head.

If it's a kit it's really my forte, but... when you bottle it, surely all you want is carbonation?
Adding malt, I would have thought, would change the taste as well as carbonating.
I'd go for table sugar - but at a low rate - this looks like a very heavy-bodied beer that would probably carbonate itself given time.
Hope this helps! :smile:

If it's a kit it's really my forte, but... when you bottle it, surely all you want is carbonation?
Adding malt, I would have thought, would change the taste as well as carbonating.
I'd go for table sugar - but at a low rate - this looks like a very heavy-bodied beer that would probably carbonate itself given time.
Hope this helps! :smile:

It probably does alter the taste slightly but as they were both made from LME I didn't think 110 grams of light DME in 21 litres of beer would make much of a difference.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Instructions that came with the kits suggested that Spray Malt could be used for carbonation on the basis that it helped to give a better head on the finished beer as per:

Transfer the beer into bottles or a pressure barrel with a little sugar or Spraymalt (half a teaspoon per pint, up to a maximum of 85g for a pressure barrel, to help condition the beer. Stand bottles or barrel in warm place for two days then allow 14 days in cool place or until the beer has cleared.

I added that bit more DME on the basis that my garage is cold enough to give a very slow carbonisation and I would probably (and did) drink the beer before it overpressure the keg!

It probably does alter the taste slightly but as they were both made from LME I didn't think 110 grams of light DME in 21 litres of beer would make much of a difference.

Yes, you're likely to be right.
But I reckon that adding malt extract to finished beer will impart a malty flavour and aroma that you won't get by boiling wort. Similar to adding dry hops - totally different to adding even late hops to the boil. OK, it is indeed a small amount of malt. But why? If you've brewed your beer to taste the way you want, and all you require is a bit of CO2 then all I'd add is sugar, if anything. No taste at all, just a bit more fizz

Yes, you're likely to be right.
But I reckon that adding malt extract to finished beer will impart a malty flavour and aroma that you won't get by boiling wort. Similar to adding dry hops - totally different to adding even late hops to the boil. OK, it is indeed a small amount of malt. But why? If you've brewed your beer to taste the way you want, and all you require is a bit of CO2 then all I'd add is sugar, if anything. No taste at all, just a bit more fizz

I would have used sugar but Woodfordes suggest sugar or DME and I went with the DME because I had some at the time and it's easier to dissolve.

Unfortunately, I have only brewed the two Woodfordes kits (Wherry and Sundew Golden Ale) and carbonated both with DME, so I have nothing to compare them with.

Both kits delivered great taste with a good head; but they would almost certainly have done the same with sugar.

We'll I primed it with golden caster sugar but I don't think I mixed the malt enough right back at the start as I've just had a bottle and by heck it's got a bitter aftertaste! Fingers crossed it improves with age!

We'll I primed it with golden caster sugar but I don't think I mixed the malt enough right back at the start as I've just had a bottle and by heck it's got a bitter aftertaste! Fingers crossed it improves with age!

Almost certainly the taste will improve with age ... :thumb: :thumb:

... and/or your taste-buds will get used to it! :whistle:

Back