Leaking mini kegs!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin1911

Reaction score
Evening. I've been using mini kegs for my last few brews, but seem to have a continuous problem with beer escaping from somewhere at the bung/keg or bung/tap interface. It's only when I pull the lever to dispense beer - beer comes out the tap, but also starts filling up the top of the keg. I've checked everything is on tight, and have checked there's no burrs stopping the rod from threading onto the tap.

Anyone else had this problem?

It's the Party-Star deluxe I'm using. The wasted beer is giving me nightmares :-)

Evening. I've been using mini kegs for my last few brews, but seem to have a continuous problem with beer escaping from somewhere at the bung/keg or bung/tap interface. It's only when I pull the lever to dispense beer - beer comes out the tap, but also starts filling up the top of the keg. I've checked everything is on tight, and have checked there's no burrs stopping the rod from threading onto the tap.

Anyone else had this problem?

It's the Party-Star deluxe I'm using. The wasted beer is giving me nightmares :-)

I'm no expert as my first experience with a Party Star/Mini Keg combo, wasn't brilliant (although not due to a leak).

Did you use any lubricant on the various joints/seals?

a dab of keg grease/vaseline on the tap dip tube helps it slide in nicely and form a nice seal, if still having problems pencil mark the tap shaft at the top of the bung and wrap some ptfe around the bung point on the shaft to widen its girth a tad so it seals better with the bung..

The bungs are pretty sensitive to UV light, some of my mini kegs sat in cool spot that does get some early morning sun light in the garage and were forgotten about for a month or 4 were fubared when i tried to tap em the seal had gone and the condition was lost, the bungs were hard and off colour, had to be UV imho... those stacked underneath were fine, only the top kegs that had caught sunlight and UV were effected..

Nice one, thanks. I had thought about using some Vaseline but wasn't sure if it might contaminate the Precious. I'll give those things a shot.

Latest posts

Back