AG Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh7117

alejunky
Reaction score
Going to get this on the go tomorrow.

First attempt at a Porter.

Fullers London Porter (Porter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.057
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Alcohol (ABV): 5.60 %
Colour (SRM): 27.0 (EBC): 53.2
Bitterness (IBU): 33.6 (Average)

4kg 77.67% Pale Malt
500g 9.71% Brown Malt
500g 9.71% Crystal 120
150g 2.91% Chocolate

40g - 2.1 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
10g - 0.8 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

15g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Ferment at 20°C with Ringwood Ale yeast (from brewery)

Sounds good.
What taste difference is there from a 90 minute boil than a 60 minute?

Sounds good.
What taste difference is there from a 90 minute boil than a 60 minute?[/QUOTE

Longer boils tend to darken the wort and there are maillard reactions taking place producing more melanoidins that enhance the maltiness of the wort. Not to mention increased hop isomerization or enhanced hop bitterness. The longer boil also concentrates these flavors that are created during the boil. Driving off DMS is probably one of the biggest reasons to boil longer but these other attributes also come into play as well. Taken from a book!!!:whistle:

Would you do that with most beers or just specific types such as stouts and porters?

Would you do that with most beers or just specific types such as stouts and porters?

I would say specific types of beer require specific attention.

I probably would not boil a summer ale 90mins.
Also take for instance weissen beer that requires a 2 or 3 stage decoction to achieve the flavor profile.

So porters and stouts could go 90 minutes? I'm doing a coffee chocolate porter tomorrow so the timing is just right!!

I wonder if you taste the difference between a 60 minute boil and a 90 minute boil. My guess is no. You might achieve greater clarity is the the longer boil.

I've also read darker colour from longer boil which may be desirable in this style. Whether it's noticeable or not I don't know.

Latest posts

Back