What is a "Turbo" anything?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused with the term "Turbo".

Coming back to brewing I read up on modern practices and discovered that whilst I had been away someone had invented a "Turbo Yeast" that could do wonderful things in terms of alcohol production in a very short space of time.

One I read about could produce 14% of alcohol within 24 hours and a second one could produce up to 23% alcohol in less than a week if it was given a sufficient amount of sugar.

Okay, here's where the confusion comes in.

I can understand why occasionally someone would want to "hurry up" a brew, get it fermented out in a shorter time and use a "Turbo Yeast" for the purpose ...

... but then I see someone describe a brew as a "Turbo ???? " and then seem to use an ordinary yeast or leave the brew in the FV for up to four weeks!

To add to the confusion the adverts for the "Turbo Yeasts" stress how the speed of the fermentation reduces or eliminates many of the byproducts that come from the fermentation process; but are these not the flavours that we cultivate and enjoy when we finally drink our product?

We all know that it is the "flavour" in a red wine that can leave us with a crushing headache the next day; but who would want to drink a flavourless red wine?

Oh, and to add insult to injury, the "Turbo Yeasts" seem to cost about five times as much as an ordinary yeast. Why? In theory all one needs is a single yeast cell and under ideal conditions it will rapidly reproduce itself anyway.

So, could someone please explain to me:

o Why "Turbo Yeasts" seem to be so popular?

o Why, apart from speeding up the fermentation process, anyone would need to use them?

o When is a brew a "Turbo" Beer, Cider or Wine?

Many thanks in anticipation. :doh:

Turbo cider I think is just referring to cider made from bottled juice because it's much faster then pressing and pasteurising your own juice from fresh apples.

Turbo cider I think is just referring to cider made from bottled juice because it's much faster then pressing and pasteurising your own juice from fresh apples.

Ah, that makes sense! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Many thanks.

I thought Turbo Brews of anything involved using the new Turbo Yeasts that are available. :doh: :doh: :doh:

I must admit, I find the term "turbo" a bit cringe worthy. I understand that it's just a throwaway term to identify a process... I just wish it was a different one.

Many thanks for the information. :thumb: :thumb:

Here are a few suggested words that can be used as a replacement for "Turbo" and still mean "quick" as in "moving fast or doing something in a short time" ...

fast, swift, rapid, speedy, high-speed,
brisk, lively, sprightly, nimble, prompt
lightning, meteoric, overnight, fast-track​

... and I will leave you with a sentence from the other version of "quick" that more or less explains my original question:

"He isn't as quick as the others, but he works hard."​
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:​

A quick look online came up with this, from a site called http://www.turboyeast.co.uk/ :

"Turbo yeast - what exactly is it really? It is a mix of a very alcohol tolerant yeast strain and an optimised nutrient, especially designed for high alcohol yield and low production of off-flavours and fusels. For home use, it comes in a small pack for 25 litres. For industrial use, it's sold in bulk for large scale alcohol fermentations."

It sounded as though it was mainly intended to ferment a "wash" for subsequent distillation. Presumably something of dubious legality in the UK! Pity, I wouldn't mind a go at my own version of Talisker - since I live only 4 miles from the distillery! :smile:

a

A quick look online came up with this, from a site called http://www.turboyeast.co.uk/ :

"Turbo yeast - what exactly is it really? It is a mix of a very alcohol tolerant yeast strain and an optimised nutrient, especially designed for high alcohol yield and low production of off-flavours and fusels. For home use, it comes in a small pack for 25 litres. For industrial use, it's sold in bulk for large scale alcohol fermentations."

It sounded as though it was mainly intended to ferment a "wash" for subsequent distillation. Presumably something of dubious legality in the UK! Pity, I wouldn't mind a go at my own version of Talisker - since I live only 4 miles from the distillery! :smile:

I saw that site when I was looking up "Turbo" (once I had got past the "turbo" cars and the "turbo" aeroplanes) and got the same impression.

As a matter of interest, has anyone EVER used one of these Turbo Yeasts on a beer or cider brew and if so, what did it do to the taste?

I always thought it was called turbo cider as it was quicker than using apples to make it and it ferments quicker, mine are usually done in a week - ten days.

I've never tried a turbo yeast myself.

I am with cheapbrew i always thought it meant it was quick to make and get to drinking stage.

I thought turbo cider was an american term for alcoholic cider as cloudy apple juice is called cider there. I think the main point in turbo yeasts are to produce high alcohol stuff for an equivalent to low alcohol spirits thats legal for home brewers to do.

My local hb store sells this stuff. They also advise the charcoal finning stuff to. Turns the whole thing black, but drops out in hours

The lady says it's tastes foul afterwards though :-( Think I'll stick to long n slow.

Oh and they sell the er cough cough crab boilers 😨

No thanks

My local hb store sells this stuff. They also advise the charcoal finning stuff to. Turns the whole thing black, but drops out in hours

The lady says it's tastes foul afterwards though :-( Think I'll stick to long n slow.

Oh and they sell the er cough cough crab boilers 😨

No thanks

I can well understand how something that ferments to 14% alcohol in the space of 24 hours tastes "foul"!

Remember the advert ...
"Not a drop is sold until it's one day old?"​
... or something very similar. :thumb:

I thought turbo cider was an american term for alcoholic cider as cloudy apple juice is called cider there. I think the main point in turbo yeasts are to produce high alcohol stuff for an equivalent to low alcohol spirits thats legal for home brewers to do.

I'm pretty sure Americans call alcoholic cider "hard cider" in order to separate it from pressed (cloudy) apple juice. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back