Help! V low SG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granarian

Reaction score
Hi all

In the middle of a brew, which consisted of a 5.7Kg grain bill and hour long mash at 67C, sparked to bring pre-boil volume up to 27litres.

I've just taken an SG reading pre-boil, and it looks like 1.010. How is this possible??! Any ideas and fixes greatly appreciated!

Wow. That's a tough one.

Are you sure you mixed/stirred properly before taking a reading especially if you topped it up? Take another reading after vigorous stirring

I would start looking at your equipment as in thermometer and hydrometer.
Assuming you mashed at correct temp you should get a decent extract but if the temp is Too high could kill the enzymes or too low may not activate the enzymes. Check the thermometer.
Assuming the thermometer is OK then check the hydrometer/refractometer, which do you have?
if you have access to a second hydrometer then check again. if not then try making a solution where you know the gravity and check the hydrometer.

if it's not equipment then I suspect sparge but even then you would expect better than 10 points!
last hope are you sure you have the correct ingredients? most probably have but worthe checking?

1010 at 67°c, for instance, gives an adjusted value of 1027, assuming your hydrometer is calbrated to read 1000 at 20°c.

This happened to me on my first AG brew. I drew a sample off the top and it was very low SG. I didn't stir so it gave the wrong reading. The post boil gravity was spot on. You should be fine.

also drop the hydrometer in cold water to check the paper tube has not shifted inside its glass tube.
it should read circa 1.000 in watre

cleaning the hydrometer with warm/hot water can melt the glue used to stick the gradient tube in place, if its shifts up/down inside the tube its going to read badly..

Thanks chaps. The basics were all fine (have brewed before!) - post boil was up around 1.045. Bit lower than target, but no doubt will be ok!

Back