MyQul's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liberty Bell? This is MJ M36 right? FWIW, I've used it a few times recently at the lower end of the temp range.

Like you I don't really have any temperature control so I've been starting my brews off in the garage where the ambient lately has been 16-18degC. I haven't noticed anything other then perfectly normal fermentation.

By the way, I was reading this recently and there is some discussion/suggestion that M36 might be the same strain as S-04.

Liberty Bell? This is MJ M36 right? FWIW, I've used it a few times recently at the lower end of the temp range.

Like you I don't really have any temperature control so I've been starting my brews off in the garage where the ambient lately has been 16-18degC. I haven't noticed anything other then perfectly normal fermentation.

By the way, I was reading this recently and there is some discussion/suggestion that M36 might be the same strain as S-04.

Tbh, I was fairly sure it would ferment at 17C but I wanted to get those dark fruit esters pumping, else I would just use CML boier.

I've only ever used S04 once (I think) so woulnt know

Im looking forward to doing an ESB on friday. I haven't done one for about 2 years

PSB - Peckham Special Bitter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 12.3 (EBC): 24.3
Bitterness (IBU): 37.6 (Average)

2.3kg Pale Ale Malt
300g Golden Syrup
240g Flaked Barley
150g Crystal 60
30g Roasted Barley

12g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
10g Bramling Cross (7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
10g Bramling Cross (7% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with MJ Liberty Bell

Out of curiosity @Cheshire Cat , what wattage is your heat mat? (I assume you're doing 20L-ish batches?). I'm thinking about getting one for use with kweik but I only do 12L batches so maybe don't need much heat...
Not sure but I’ve only used it twice and I fermented at 24C in the garage with it. Here’s my jacket
9D39F81A-62B8-40E7-A32B-F60D5043B17E.jpeg

Edit 25W

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back