Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > MyQul's Brewday

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 31-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4398 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Default Hung, Drawn & Quartered Brown Ale

Making the following brown ale on sat. It's based on the Northern Brown Ale reciepe from my GH book. The name comes from the fact I'm using four different types of crystal to use up a few bits and bobs I have. Will also be using some of the slovenian hops I won fo the first time and the Shepard Neame yeast strain I have bottle cultured up for the first time too

Hung Drawn & Quartered Brown Ale

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 13.0 (EBC): 25.6
Bitterness (IBU): 24.2 (Tinseth)

4.8kg Pale Malt
100g Chocolate
Crystal medium 90g
Cara Gold 50g
Crystal dark 50g
Special-B 50g

9.5g Styrian Cascade (5.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
16g Styrian Wolf (13.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Shepard Neame

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Leon103 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Default Wolf Whistle Bitter

Making this tommorow, yet another tweek on my house bitter. Using more slovenian hops, MJ Dark Ale yeast and Special B instead of regular crystal, non of which I've used before (well I used a bit of special b last week but the beer is still in the FV). I chucked in some golden syrup to hopefully counter the medium attenuation (I've read it gives about 68%) from the yeast

Wolf Whistle Bitter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.038 (°P): 9.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 3.55 %
Colour (SRM): 10.2 (EBC): 20.0
Bitterness (IBU): 25.4 (Tinseth)

84.52% Pale Ale Malt 3.2kg
10.57% Golden Syrup 400g
4.91% Special-B 186g

1.3 g/L 30g Styrian Cascade (5.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L 4.5g Styrian Wolf (13.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L 4.5gStyrian Wolf (13.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L15g Styrian Wolf (13.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Mangrove Jacks Dark Ale Yeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Last edited by MyQul; 13-05-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Update on my Aurora PPA.

I bottled it on thursday so I'd had a little tester bottle. Despite having only 2 days conditoning it's eminantly quaffaby. It quite clean (cuz I used notty I presume), there as very slight hint of what I think is passion fruit. There's also a very slight soapyness which comes from leaving the flavour/aroma hops in the FV for the 10 days of fermentation. This will condtion out. When it does this is defiantely going to be a lovely beer - It's nice enough already

Old 20-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Im making this tommorow

I Don't Go Sarf of the River - Lite Anglo American Steam Beer/Pseudo Lager

7L

OG 1.039
FG 1.007

IBU 12

Mash Temp 64C

Lager Malt 1.056kg
Vienna Malt 149g
Table Sugar 137g
CaraBlond 50g

First Gold 5.59g @ 60min
First Gold 3.78g @ 0min

Yeast: Mangrove Jacks Califorian Lager yeast

I might dry hop it with the same amount of first gold as the 0 min addition

I've added 25% more grain as I'm doing a no sparge. I will also be using my new mill for the first time

Last edited by MyQul; 20-01-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Found 50g of CaraBlond so I'll chuck that in too

Old 20-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #15
IainM

Liked 798 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
Im making this tommorow

I Don't Go Sarf of the River - Lite Anglo American Steam Beer/Pseudo Lager

7L

OG 1.038
FG 1.006

IBU 12

Mash Temp 64C

Lager Malt 1.056kg
Vienna Malt 149g
Table Sugar 137g

First Gold 5.59g @ 60min
First Gold 3.78g @ 0min

Yeast: Mangrove Jacks Califorian Lager yeast

I might dry hop it with the same amount of first gold as the 0 min addition

I've added 25% more grain as I'm doing a no sparge. I will also be using my new mill for the first time
Sounds like one that will be worth keeping until the weather picks up. I'll be interested to see if your efficiency bumps up now that you're milling.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 20-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #16
Redron

Liked 148 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 132

But if you are using your new mill then surely this must negate the need to add 25% more grain to compensate for the 'no sparge' .
I'm interested too in your efficiency figures as I am also considering a mill to increase my poor efficiency due to 'true BIAB, no sparge' method. I'm lucky if I hit 60% !
MyQul Likes This 
Old 20-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #17
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redron View Post
But if you are using your new mill then surely this must negate the need to add 25% more grain to compensate for the 'no sparge' .
I'm interested too in your efficiency figures as I am also considering a mill to increase my poor efficiency due to 'true BIAB, no sparge' method. I'm lucky if I hit 60% !
That's what I kind of thought too. But these are all new ethods/bits of kit for me so I need to do a bit of trial and error to dial everything in.

Do you stir during the mash btw? For the longest time I normally stirred during the mash then for the past few brews I kind of forgot about doing it. My efficiency took a drop (I found it too hard to work out my efficiency when doing maxi-biab so I dont know what exactly it was but I was getting lower than my target brew length). I brewed last week and remembered about stirring and stirred the mash every 20 mins and got a good efficiency. Getting 2L more than my target 20L brewlength

Old 20-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #18
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
Sounds like one that will be worth keeping until the weather picks up. I'll be interested to see if your efficiency bumps up now that you're milling.
Everyone reports an increase in efficiency so hopefully I will get one too. I can never keep beer long. It'll be gone a couple of weeks after I bottle it (if that)

Old 20-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #19
Redron

Liked 148 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
That's what I kind of thought too. But these are all new ethods/bits of kit for me so I need to do a bit of trial and error to dial everything in.

Do you stir during the mash btw? For the longest time I normally stirred during the mash then for the past few brews I kind of forgot about doing it. My efficiency took a drop (I found it too hard to work out my efficiency when doing maxi-biab so I dont know what exactly it was but I was getting lower than my target brew length). I brewed last week and remembered about stirring and stirred the mash every 20 mins and got a good efficiency. Getting 2L more than my target 20L brewlength
Interesting point re stirring during the mash. As a rule I don't as I think I may lose some valuable heat by taking the lid off and stirring periodically. I do stir whilst making an effort at some sort of mash out, but get a bit feared that having a bag of grain in the pot with the gas on will result in a 'burned bottom' so I do it for a few minutes, maybe up to 75 degs or so before I stop and drain the bag via a hoist system in my shed.
Perhaps I should be a bit more scientific in my approach and make more notes, hey, all part of the learning process...
Whilst I generally get around 60% efficiency, I have got up to 68% on occasions, but I'm darned if I know how, hence the more scientific note making process comment...
I'm thinking a mill is a good idea, recent threads on the subject are helpful. Of course there is no problem adding more grain to compensate but it kinda goes against the rub, i.e. Producing good beer as cheaply as possible in an 'efficient' way...
MyQul Likes This 
Old 20-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #20
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redron View Post
Interesting point re stirring during the mash. As a rule I don't as I think I may lose some valuable heat by taking the lid off and stirring periodically. I do stir whilst making an effort at some sort of mash out, but get a bit feared that having a bag of grain in the pot with the gas on will result in a 'burned bottom' so I do it for a few minutes, maybe up to 75 degs or so before I stop and drain the bag via a hoist system in my shed.
Perhaps I should be a bit more scientific in my approach and make more notes, hey, all part of the learning process...
Whilst I generally get around 60% efficiency, I have got up to 68% on occasions, but I'm darned if I know how, hence the more scientific note making process comment...
I'm thinking a mill is a good idea, recent threads on the subject are helpful. Of course there is no problem adding more grain to compensate but it kinda goes against the rub, i.e. Producing good beer as cheaply as possible in an 'efficient' way...
I think I might not add the extra 25% and see what happens. I'm brewing again on monday so can add the extra 25% if need be