Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > A Newbies Guide to Dry Hopping Your Beer

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 14-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
MickDundee

Liked 563 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethhuwwilliams View Post
I've had my ball/bag sit in the trub for a week. Never again. My pellets were a sloppy mess.
This made me laugh a little more than it probably should have!
Garethhuwwilliams Likes This 
Old 14-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Notlaw
Dubbel Dragon

Liked 809 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethhuwwilliams View Post
I've had my ball/bag sit in the trub for a week. Never again. My pellets were a sloppy mess.
How did I not see that?!?!

I've just spat tea all over my keyboard and monitor, and dribbled it all down my shirt... I've a client visiting at half three.!!
People Like This 
Old 14-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
GHW

Liked 778 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Apologies to TerryM for the testicular threadjack. Good guide terry!
People Like This 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #14
kimosabby

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default whats the answer then?

Did the Youngs American IPA last year. Threw the full 100g of supplied hops in. You'll find my frantic comments on the Youngs American IPA review thread when after adding them the gravity readings went up much to my concern. Left them in for 6-7 days against better judgement. Turned out ok but but there were a couple of things. Firstly the instructions say that leaving them in for less time like about 2 days will result in a stronger hop taste preserving their taste. Whats the general feeling on this?

Ive heard lots of others saying 5-7 days is best. Ive just started the Youngs american APA so need to decide on game plan before the hops are due. I did an Evil Brewdog recently and left the hop tea bags in for 2 days. Initial indications after 5 weeks in bottle is a very weak hop taste so not impressed with the 2 day idea but again Evil Dog instructions state shorter time is better for stonger hop taste.

Also, last time as I threw hops in with no bag (IPA) they sat on the top forming a crust. Using a bottling wand was an experience as it kept getting clogged and there was frigging booze everywhere except in the bottles. Only just starting to get sense of humor about it now. To try and stop the broken up hops entering the bottles I put a musslin bag over the end of the wand in desperation. Fawlty Towers level of results ensued. Friends asked me when trying the brew what the green floaters were in the glass! (better than brown floaters) Although not perfect they didnt upset the brew and the hop taste was there 6 months after so maybe there is something in not using a muslin bag; i dunno. So, Second question then is if not using a musslin bag in initial FV is there a way of filtering going into secondary FV?

Dry hopping is great as its been said above but like everything else in home brewing is a dark art in itself and one answer provokes 2 new ones...

Kimosabby
People Like This 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
nigelnorris
Beavis at Bat

Liked 240 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The Festival kits come with a little nylon bag to go over the syphon end. They're for sale on Amazon separately, presumably lots of other places.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+Straining+Bag

They work well.

Old 24-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #16
BeerisGOD

Liked 255 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 639

think ill be using two muslins. and lots more spoons than last time. six teaspoons should do the job for each.
I'm planning on breaking the mold with traditions and sticking some challenger in with the festival razorback to make 100g total dry hop.
wish me luck

Old 24-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #17
Hoddy

Liked 366 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use very large marbles (borrowed from my kids) in the Muslim bag. Just don't underestimate the amount of weight you'll need to submerge the bag. Once it's in, it's in. And you don't want to be fiddling around pulling it out to add more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.

Old 24-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 957 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I'm a big fan of pellet hops (though a relatively recent convert) especially for dry hopping. They are easier to use and, I think, are more efficient at imparting aroma. Just chuck them straight in the primary and leave them for a few days until they sink and syphon off to your bottling bucket. No faffing around sanitising ball bags no clogging up syphon hoses and no need for a secondary.

Old 24-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #19
pms67

Liked 823 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabby View Post
Did the Youngs American IPA last year. Threw the full 100g of supplied hops in. You'll find my frantic comments on the Youngs American IPA review thread when after adding them the gravity readings went up much to my concern. Left them in for 6-7 days against better judgement. Turned out ok but but there were a couple of things. Firstly the instructions say that leaving them in for less time like about 2 days will result in a stronger hop taste preserving their taste. Whats the general feeling on this?

Ive heard lots of others saying 5-7 days is best. Ive just started the Youngs american APA so need to decide on game plan before the hops are due. I did an Evil Brewdog recently and left the hop tea bags in for 2 days. Initial indications after 5 weeks in bottle is a very weak hop taste so not impressed with the 2 day idea but again Evil Dog instructions state shorter time is better for stonger hop taste.

Also, last time as I threw hops in with no bag (IPA) they sat on the top forming a crust. Using a bottling wand was an experience as it kept getting clogged and there was frigging booze everywhere except in the bottles. Only just starting to get sense of humor about it now. To try and stop the broken up hops entering the bottles I put a musslin bag over the end of the wand in desperation. Fawlty Towers level of results ensued. Friends asked me when trying the brew what the green floaters were in the glass! (better than brown floaters) Although not perfect they didnt upset the brew and the hop taste was there 6 months after so maybe there is something in not using a muslin bag; i dunno. So, Second question then is if not using a musslin bag in initial FV is there a way of filtering going into secondary FV?

Dry hopping is great as its been said above but like everything else in home brewing is a dark art in itself and one answer provokes 2 new ones...

Kimosabby
Its a PITA but worth it,if you can,cold crash for three or four days and hops will sink to the bottom, if not, i used to leave them in for a week until they broke up a bit then transfered to a secondary but even that was a fuss.
Maybe someone will come up with something foolproof
Good luck

Old 24-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
Bunglebrewsbeer

Liked 355 Times on 273 Posts

I just soak a bag in starsan for a while. Put anything from 50 - 150g of hops in. 1 or 2 bags lob a load of marbles in each bag to to sink it and dry hop for 5 days. Works a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk