Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > A Newbies Guide to Dry Hopping Your Beer

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 24-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #21
Robin54

Liked 586 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
I use very large marbles (borrowed from my kids) in the Muslim bag. Just don't underestimate the amount of weight you'll need to submerge the bag. Once it's in, it's in. And you don't want to be fiddling around pulling it out to add more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting Steve. I like the oily quality of pellets but like to see the 'real article' with leaves etc
I guess its like comparing a CD to a vinyl disc, if that makes sense.?

Old 24-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #22
Bunglebrewsbeer

Liked 355 Times on 273 Posts

I tend to dry hop with pellets. Just find them easier to get in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 24-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #23
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 957 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin54 View Post
Interesting Steve. I like the oily quality of pellets but like to see the 'real article' with leaves etc
I guess its like comparing a CD to a vinyl disc, if that makes sense.?
Yeah it was the fact that pellets were more "processed" than whole hops that put me off using them for a while, plus the fact that my hop filter couldn't cope with them. After using them though I love them, and I don't bother trying to filter them from the kettle.

Old 26-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #24
pms67

Liked 823 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethhuwwilliams View Post
I've had my ball/bag sit in the trub for a week. Never again. My pellets were a sloppy mess.
Ive only just stopped laughing at this.

I read it yesterday 😂😂😂😂
dad_of_jon Likes This 
Old 26-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #25
Hoppyland

Liked 291 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabby View Post
Second question then is if not using a musslin bag in initial FV is there a way of filtering going into secondary FV?
One method if the hops are floating is to use a FV with a tap, and to drop the beer (through a tube so no aeration) rather than siphon it into the secondary. You could easily fit a bazooka filter behind the tap if required.

Old 31-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #26
Gunge

Liked 924 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 1039

I still can't remember what went wrong when I tried dry-hopping many years ago, but not being a massive hop-head I didn't lose sleep over it and didn't bother again. But, encouraged by terrym's comments elsewhere I've decided to have another go to elevate my beer out of the 'samey' hoppiness and add a little interest. So with 5 days to go before bottling I chucked a muslin bag containg a couple of spoons and 50g of Fuggles into the FV containg a bitter brewed with Progress and Fuggles! I await this one with renewed enthusiasm.

Old 31-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #27
Sadfield

Liked 429 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
I'm a big fan of pellet hops (though a relatively recent convert) especially for dry hopping. They are easier to use and, I think, are more efficient at imparting aroma. Just chuck them straight in the primary and leave them for a few days until they sink and syphon off to your bottling bucket. No faffing around sanitising ball bags no clogging up syphon hoses and no need for a secondary.
Best technique for maximum return.

I'm still of the belief that if your hop bag floats it is because it's full of air and buoyant. Weighing it down will only pull that oxygen containing air into you beer. Oxygen is the enemy of hop aroma.

Also, dryhopping is all about exposure, getting as much of your beer I contact with beer so hop surface area is important, leaf hops and hop bags limit this.
Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Old 02-06-2017, 12:55 AM   #28
BeerisGOD

Liked 255 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Does anyone on here ever have the pellets naturally fall to the bottom without a fridge?
Im happy to give this method another go but last time I believe loose pellets caused problems

Old 02-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #29
LesTom

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I've just stumbled on this thread and it's piqued my interest (and no I don't mean the ballbag references )
Anyway, I have an American 1 gallon demijohn for my fermenting duties with a narrow neck. What would be the best way for me to dry hop? just chuck the hop pellets in the top or put them in a bag?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #30
brisboy

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
Does anyone on here ever have the pellets naturally fall to the bottom without a fridge?
Im happy to give this method another go but last time I believe loose pellets caused problems

Mine usually do, although I use a "swamp cooler" sometimes (fv in some sort of tub of water). If you really want it clear you can do the same but add some frozen plastic bottles of water for a couple of days. Definitely doable without a fridge.