Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > Grain Father Tips

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Norfolk79

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTS View Post
Not sure if this one has been mentioned before:

While sparging it is hard to read the level of the wort from the inside of the Grainfather with the grain basket in the way, and the top of the wort being all foamy. I like to know if I am getting near to my pre-boil volume.

I found a top tip to get a fairly accurate volume reading is to run a finger down the volume markings on the outside of the GF. when you put your finger to the metal above the level of the wort it will be quite hot to the touch, but not very painful. Slide your finger down the outside (from the 30L mark going down) and when the sensation in you finger changes from 'quite hot' to 'extremely painful' you know you have reached the liquid level and can read your volume from the markings on the outside.

I know everyone's pain tolerance is different, but whatever your tolerance there is a clear difference between the heat of the metal above the wort and the heat of the metal in contact with liquid.

If you have tough steel workers hands, try licking your finger before you slide it down the outside of the GF. Heat transfer through a wet finger is much much greater than through dry finger, and this will increase your finger volume measuring sensitivity (pain) hugely.

Spraying the outside with water also works with this, it vaporises much quicker where the wort level is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Conditioning
Coopers Lager Kit (It seemed a shame to waste it!)(Brewed 29/10/17)

Fermenting
Greg Hughes American IPA v.2 (Brewed 25/11/17)

Planning

Galaxy Delight
Total Dom IPA
Improper Job Clone
Citra SMASH
Ghost Ship Clone V.2
MagnusTS Likes This 
Old 16-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
MagnusTS

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Unkenly View Post
My top tips:

You use less water if you slow the wort flow rate through the chiller.
Is this correct? I have been using a very slow wort flow rate to conserve water, but now I am doubting my logic.

Lower wort flow rate means I need a lower water flow to cool the wort.

But... if my wort flow is 5 times slower, then I need to run it for five times longer transfer the wort. So wouldn't the amount of water I would use be the same as if I had run the wort 5 times faster, but had to run the water flow 5 times faster for the same cooling?

There may be some physics in the CFC that I don't understand here. Maybe it's not a linear scale?