Patersbier is on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this done today. Relatively straightforward brew day, other than forgetting the water treatment til the mash was on. Chucked it in anyway so we'll see.

Mashed low to get a nice dry crisp finish to the beer.

Similar to GH's recipe though I added tettnang not hallertauer.

3kg Pilsner malt
30g saaz @60
25g tettnang @10

Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity (this smelt very funky and tart from the smack pack). No starter as its only a 15L batch.

Og after top up (I was over og and under volume) was 1046 as expected. Should get 1010 if the yeast gets going, so about 5% and 23 ibu.

This is going to be the summer drink of choice, to be consumed with a burnt sausage off the bbq

Here it is about to get a good vorlaufing (thanks for fixing mods)

ayyyyyyy.jpg

I've done this one before. The yeast remains funky smelling throughout and gives a banana twang to the beer. Not entirely to my liking but overall not a bad brew. Good luck with it.:thumb:

Yes it's the Greg Hughes one, with a minor hop change.

Sonnal, I love the banana thing that these yeasts kick out, I'm fermenting it cool as I want more banana-ness than the cloves end of the scale. At least I'm assuming that's the deal with this yeast, that's how Weiss yeasts work.

The Weiss I did smelt so bad I thought it was infected and ended up replacing my fv! Funny thing is loads of people loved the beer it made. Will be a bit wiser this time and stick it out.

No action yet but it's only been 9 hrs, will panic if it's not moved in the morning!

Yes it's the Greg Hughes one, with a minor hop change.

Sonnal, I love the banana thing that these yeasts kick out, I'm fermenting it cool as I want more banana-ness than the cloves end of the scale. At least I'm assuming that's the deal with this yeast, that's how Weiss yeasts work.

The Weiss I did smelt so bad I thought it was infected and ended up replacing my fv! Funny thing is loads of people loved the beer it made. Will be a bit wiser this time and stick it out.

No action yet but it's only been 9 hrs, will panic if it's not moved in the morning!

I thought it was the other way around. Ferment cool and get cloves, ferment hot get banana?

I thought it was the other way around. Ferment cool and get cloves, ferment hot get banana?

You're right. I'm sure I pitched hot on the Weiss and it turned out very spicy, not very bananery. That's why I had it in my head the wrong way round. It must have cooled and stayed relatively low.

Might be time to shift the fv to the living room!

I thought the same; ferment more toward the 22°C mark for banana and down towards 17°C for cloves. That's the way I read it when I used the Belle Saison anyway.

You're right. I'm sure I pitched hot on the Weiss and it turned out very spicy, not very bananery. That's why I had it in my head the wrong way round. It must have cooled and stayed relatively low.

Might be time to shift the fv to the living room!

Sulphurous smells in the living room... You'll be popular :lol:

I thought the same; ferment more toward the 22°C mark for banana and down towards 17°C for cloves. That's the way I read it when I used the Belle Saison anyway.

I did a bit of reading a couple of weeks ago and that's what I found out as I'm thinking of doing the black sabbath stout but with some MJ weiss yeast instead of the mauribrew weiss as it's difficult to get

Erk, no action whatsoever this morning. Moved to a warmer spot. Hoping the smack pack wasn't duff. Was packaged end of November 2015 so 4 months old.

Should have made a flamin starter.

Erk, no action whatsoever this morning. Moved to a warmer spot. Hoping the smack pack wasn't duff. Was packaged end of November 2015 so 4 months old.

Should have made a flamin starter.

If the pack swelled up before you pitched it you should be fine. It might just be taking its time to get going.

I did a bit of reading a couple of weeks ago and that's what I found out as I'm thinking of doing the black sabbath stout but with some MJ weiss yeast instead of the mauribrew weiss as it's difficult to get

The Mauribrew one is available from an Irish supplier, but its about £6.50 postage. If anyone else wants any, we could club together for the postage, then I'll post them out from the post room at work.

All good now, beery smells and bubbles all round. Krausen like a brain, which is interesting. Hopefully it doesn't taste like one.

image.jpg

I have an extract version of this ready to go in the shed for a couple of weeks. Used mangrove jack Belgian ale yeast though.

Latest posts

Back