Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh7117

alejunky
Reaction score
After the disaster of the Ringwood i need to get some beer on the go!!

This is a recipe of my own formulation.

Justins Pale Ale (Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 11.1 (EBC): 21.9
Bitterness (IBU): 33.0 (Average)

67.42% Maris Otter Malt
13.48% Torrified Wheat
11.24% Munich I
4.49% Crystal 120
3.37% Biscuit

0.6 g/L Simcoe (15.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L B Saaz (6.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L B Saaz (6.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

0.4 g/L Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Danstar Windsor

Bit similar to the cornish tin miner ale in my GH book. That uses caramunich but no terrified wheat. Aslo has some biscuit. Also on my long list of beers to make. I'm looking forward to trying out biscuit malt as it sound as if it give a nice flavour (I love biscuits :lol:)

Bit similar to the cornish tin miner ale in my GH book. That uses caramunich but no terrified wheat. Aslo has some biscuit. Also on my long list of beers to make. I'm looking forward to trying out biscuit malt as it sound as if it give a nice flavour (I love biscuits :lol:)

I have used it before but have read up about it and there should be an element of respect. So I have used it in small quants and it has provided a nice back ground flavor. I think if you add over 250g in a brew it would dominate the beer.

I have used it before but have read up about it and there should be an element of respect. So I have used it in small quants and it has provided a nice back ground flavor. I think if you add over 250g in a brew it would dominate the beer.

I'm just following the reciepe in my GH book. All the ones I've dones so far have turned out fine (fantastic tbh) so I think I should be ok

Looks a nice recipe :thumb: i have only used Sazz in largers for some reason

I have used both hops but in Weissen beers.

So I though a pale ale would go nice with the combo but used Windsor yeast to try and bring it back to the shores of England. My first go with the yeast a little bit on the 'Oh bloody hell here we go again' side as I have just had a bit of a nightmare with another yeast I have never used before.:lol:

So I though a pale ale would go nice with the combo but used Windsor yeast to try and bring it back to the shores of England. My first go with the yeast a little bit on the 'Oh bloody hell here we go again' side as I have just had a bit of a nightmare with another yeast I have never used before.:lol:

I have never used that yeast tbh, but a do like a bit of biscuit ive used it in a few darker ales it does add a nice back ground taste

Didn't clock you'd used windsor. You are aware it has medium attenuation (about 60%-70%)

Didn't clock you'd used windsor. You are aware it has medium attenuation (about 60%-70%)

Yes was aware. I know I am on the outer edge of the yeast but I am banking on having only 20L and ABV of 4.7 I thought would be OK.

Isn't that a bit high on the torrefied wheat? I thought it was 10% max and more common to use only about 3-5% of the grist.

Isn't that a bit high on the torrefied wheat? I thought it was 10% max and more common to use only about 3-5% of the grist.

I had a bit to use up!:lol:

Using torrified wheat can improve head retention in a beer. The torrified wheat percentage needed in a grist is approximately 5-10%. This amount can make a big improvement in head formation and retention. Briess recommends using up to 40% torrified wheat in a beer recipe, with the upper limit being for a weissen, Belgian witbier, or other wheat beer.

Took ages for this to get to 1010 but we are there now.

Will move this to rest. Not sure I will be using Windsor yeast again.

Not so much Pale ale but golden ale!

Carbonation is good.

Taste is Rich and fruity slightly complex with a bitter sweet finish.

Might have a few of these tonight, Hoorah!!:cheers:

Not so much Pale ale but golden ale!

Carbonation is good.

Taste is Rich and fruity slightly complex with a bitter sweet finish.

Might have a few of these tonight, Hoorah!!:cheers:

Sounds really nice, the Saaz hops probably lighten it up a bit (not literally) but the noble hops are more delicate hops and probably suit the lighter style..

Sounds really nice, the Saaz hops probably lighten it up a bit (not literally) but the noble hops are more delicate hops and probably suit the lighter style..

I did use the Hop Wheel to formulate the recipe.

Worked out which would complement each other. Also took into account I was intending a pale ale so had in the back of my mind Larger/ wiessen beer when I chose the hops.

I did use the Hop Wheel to formulate the recipe.

Worked out which would complement each other. Also took into account I was intending a pale ale so had in the back of my mind Larger/ wiessen beer when I chose the hops.

Nice drink now the weather is getting warmer, something a bit more summer lawnmover type do you think?

Nice drink now the weather is getting warmer, something a bit more summer lawnmover type do you think?

Exact a mundo! On my second already!

Its going down a treat.

Looking forward to the elderflower to burst onto the scene. will be doing a summer ale with elder!

Back