What did you drink ....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When you first started drinking beer in pubs.

It was a long time ago but mine was Hartleys best.

beer_25184.jpg

1430767804-15439-15.jpg

M&B brew eleven and also went through a phase of drinking mixed, looking back as compared to today's meteoric rise of cask real ales pretty mundane and tasteless

Brew_X1-1366886167.png

this was in about 1993 but my preferences were
Worthington's, the British legion I worked in kept a lovely pint (obvs not the creamflow ****)
Boddingtons . In Manchester. Everyone says I was past its best by then but I loved it
Flowers IPA
Castle Eden which was bloody lovely on draught but rubbish in a can
Failing that, Newcastle brown ale of course

I was about 93 as well. In Newcastle it was all Newcastle Exhibition and McEwans Best Scotch. I can't remember the cask ales of the time as I wasn't arsed at that stage. Normally drank bottled lager when I went out with mates.

My first glass of beer in a pub was cask Worthington Bitter, when I shouldn't have been there :nono:. This was in the days before keg beer and things related. It was quite thin and bitter as I recall, but the memory has stuck. The pub has long gone.
Later draught Bass and sometimes M&B Mild before becoming a student at Sheffield when it was Tennants Queens Bitter (about 1/10p a pint :shock:) and Tetley Bitter.

My first ever pint in a pub was courage tavern....I was a bit underage at the time. Now I drink my homebrew from a vintage courage glass.

I remember drinking newkie brown in the local night when I was 16 because it was the cheapest/ largest bottle. Generally it was any lager or guinness

It was Tennants, which I now hate. However, my local used to do Erdinger on draft, which I suppose opened my eyes to "proper" beer!

Theakstons Old P when I could get it or XB. Didn't like the local Boddingtons and the pub round the corner was Whitbread but I can't remember what I drank in there.

I guess it must have been 1975/6ish and was Belhaven 80/- in Dunbar, only a mile away from the brewery at Belhaven.

Can remember calling in at Dunbar on a Friday night when travelling up to the Orkney Islands mid 90s. First time I'd tried their beer
Enjoyed it, but it was a bit of a mad night out there.

My first really was smithwicks and Guinness in Ireland on a fishing trip at 14.
But when I started going out mid to late 80s it was.

images.jpg

Diesel and the place we could get serverd at (baring in mind we were only 16 ) made this up with fosters woodpecker and Schweppes blackcurrant .. shortly after I did move on to Stella Artois being more refined and all that :lol: I often think about making a diesel for nostalgia.

Maybe I could make a HB one AG lager mixed with turbo cider and some blackcurrant

There you go there is a challenge clone/ HB your first drink

Latest posts

Back