Brewafternoon: Cherry WOW & Raspberry Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all

Making good use of a spare hour or so today, I knocked up a couple of 25L batches of these

Cherry WOW
4L Asda red grape
2L Don Simon red grape
4L Asda smart price apple
3 x 440l Lowicz cherry
1L strong tea (5 bag)
5tsp pectolase
4kg sugar

Dissolved sugar in 3l of water until hot
Made up tea, left to stew
Chucked all juices into FV
Added pectolase dissolved in a cup of warm water
Added hot sugar solution
Topped up with tap water to 25L

Pitched yeast (Gervin GV2) at about 22deg

SG 1.100 (est abv ca. 14%, should ferment out to 0.990)

Raspberry Cider
15L Asda smart price apple
2 x Lowicz Raspberry
1L strong tea
5tsp pectolase

Chucked juice into FV, with hot tea and pectolase dissolved in some warm water

Temp was already about 18deg, so topped up to 25L with warm water

Pitched yeast (eBay cider yeast with sweetener) at about 22deg

SG 1.038 (should ferment out to 1.000, plus primer should be abv of ca 5.5%)

Dissolved sugar in 3l of water until hot

I stopped using pans a while ago, i now half fill the DJ's with 30c (ish) water put the sugar in then use my degassing wand to dissolve it, it works a treat, saves a lot of time and there are no pans to clean.

Ah good idea, only problem is I use 25L buckets, could fill them with warm from the bath I suppose ?

When I make the WineBuddy 30 bottle kit I put 4 litres of cold and a full kettle of boiling water into the FV then use my long spoon to dissolve the sugar.

I see, sounds like the way forward... one of my FV's has a narrowish neck which is a bugger to pour a big pan of hot stuff into 🤐

Will try that next time

Ciders almost done, was 1.010 a few days ago so will rack and bottle this week I expect.

Don't know about the wow, bubbling away but slightly more of a ball ache to take an SG reading cos it doesn't have a tap on that FV (have to use the turkey baster to sook some up for the hydrometer tube

Bottled it, primed with 390ml of rasp and blackberry syrup (300g sugar)

46 bottle of TC loveliness 😀

c1970470ef170bf54da1c672de4152e0.jpg

Ooooh....liking the sound of the Cherry WOW!!!!

Looks like I might have a winner for DJ number 4 :thumb:

Cider now completely clear and placcy bottles firming up nicely, will be good for sampling at the weekend 😀

Cherry WOW slowed down a bit, was expect it to be ready to rack this week, but was still at 1.040
.. temp had dropped a little though, down to 18deg cos I'd taken off its hoodie 😮.. gave it stir up and turned up cupboard heater a bit so it's bubbling away again and about 20deg 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hmm cherry wow isn't playing ball... seems to have stopped at about 1.040 with not much sign of life, chucked a couple of teaspoons of youngs super wyc on it and it started fizzing right away, hopefully back on track 😛

My Raspberry version is still going ballistic.... It looks a great recipe, can't wait to try my version of it. Where did you find the Cherry Lowicz? I can find loads of flavours but not that one

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Most of my usual supermarkets (tesco, sainsburys, asda) usually have at least raspberry and cherry with other flavours from time to time. Cherry one is 'Wisnia' 😀

Hmmmm, I'll keep looking. Mine just seem to have Raspberry and I think there is Mango

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

If you know of a polish shop or supermarket near you they usually have loads of flavours, usually £1 a bottle.

Raspberry Cider is going down well, not all that fizzy considering the amount of primer I put in, just right though

[ame]https://vimeo.com/163744675[/ame]

Tested the cherry wow and it's still struggling to get right down... seems to have stalled at around 1.008 despite having shaken it up a couple of times and adding more yeast.

Just gonna rack it and stabilise tonight I think, tastes ok, if on the medium side

Back