Mangrove Jack's Yeast Comparison Chart

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking for West Yorkshire Ale Yeast, I know WYeast do it YEAST STRAIN: 1469 but I have been unable to find any one in the UK that has it in stock, can anyone offer an alternative?

I can't believe that, I have searched and searched, but WOW �£10 inc delivery that seems like a lot of money for something I can't be sure will make all that much difference. Has anybody used this? Would Saf 04 be a substitute? Can anyone offer up other substitutes?

WY1469 is my house English strain at the mo. I dont think there are any dried English strains that are comparable to liquid ones. Certainly not S-04. You can defiantely tell the difference though.
£10 is a lot just to buy yeast. The couple of times I've bought yeast I've included it in with the rest of an order so I would have been paying delivery charges any way. Is there no way you can do this too?
What are you wanting to put it in? Anything specific? If not, if I was you I'd bottle culture up something like the Fullers strain or Shepard Neame strain.

Is ���£8.50 an amount you'd be willing to pay? Brewlab have thousands of strains in the their yeast bank. You could ask them for a strain "like 1469".Although I doubt they'd be willing to admit they carry it as I imagine 1469 is patented.

http://www.brewlab.co.uk/services/home-brew-yeast

I am not sure its as much about the money as the results, one of my afore mentioned friends fairly frequently visits the Black Sheep Brewery, I have asked him if he could ask if they could let me have a sample of their yeast. I am guessing I will probably use the S-04 for the first clone, and if my friend is successful use their yeast for the next clone, if he is not successful maybe one of the other options.

It's be great if you can get hold of the black sheep yeast. If you want to get as close to cloning a particular beer have the right yeast is the way to go. I'm going to culture up the Fullers strain soon so I can have a crack a London Pride clone

Back