yarbles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
....think I've oxygenated my first kit brew.....poured in several litres of boiled water in with the extract and thought I was supposed to stir vigorously at that point before adding the cooled top up water.. .doh! Read afterwards that the vigorous stirring was supposed to be done once the whole lot was cooled to room temp....i guess the oxygenated warm wort will result in a ruined batch?

....think I've oxygenated my first kit brew.....poured in several litres of boiled water in with the extract and thought I was supposed to stir vigorously at that point before adding the cooled top up water.. .doh! Read afterwards that the vigorous stirring was supposed to be done once the whole lot was cooled to room temp....i guess the oxygenated warm wort will result in a ruined batch?
don't worry..just leave it in the warm for a day and it will kick off

Don't worry this will be fine. Getting air into it before you put the yeast in is actually a good thing

I think you do stir it in to help mix up the extract before you dilute it, giving the whole lot a really good stir is very good for fermentation

It will be absolutely fine! what are you making?

Don't worry this will be fine. Getting air into it before you put the yeast in is actually a good thing

Yeh I understand that but I'd also heard that getting air into it when it's cold is great, getting air into it when it's warm is bad and can lead to off flavours. Have you had any experience of that?

If you're referring to hot side aerating it is normally a concern when transferring your boiled wort from the kettle to fermenter.. Even at home brew level transferring that with slashing a lot of people debunk it. what you would have done is tiny mix up of extract and boiled water it will be fine, I think most kits advise you stir up boiled water with the extract anyway to help mix it up before diluting it

I think you do stir it in to help mix up the extract before you dilute it, giving the whole lot a really good stir is very good for fermentation

It will be absolutely fine! what are you making?

Phew! Thanks for the reassurance....it's one of those Young's American Pale Ale starter kit jobbies....put it out in the garage at around 6pm last night connected to a brew belt (which was in turn connected to an Inkbird 308 with sensor in the FV). Checked on it this morning and the temp had dropped to 18oC so the brew belt was giving it some (looks as though outside temp dropped a fair bit last night) and there wasn't any airlock activity - at this stage I'm putting that down to either a) too cold (but hopefully it should warm up a bit today) or b) the fact that I didn't push-click the airlock to make a tight seal, instead I'd just "placed" the top part on so maybe it was too easy for air to escape without troubling the liquid in the airlock

Phew! Thanks for the reassurance....it's one of those Young's American Pale Ale starter kit jobbies....put it out in the garage at around 6pm last night connected to a brew belt (which was in turn connected to an Inkbird 308 with sensor in the FV). Checked on it this morning and the temp had dropped to 18oC so the brew belt was giving it some (looks as though outside temp dropped a fair bit last night) and there wasn't any airlock activity - at this stage I'm putting that down to either a) too cold (but hopefully it should warm up a bit today) or b) the fact that I didn't push-click the airlock to make a tight seal, instead I'd just "placed" the top part on so maybe it was too easy for air to escape without troubling the liquid in the airlock

Its been a long time since I brewed with kits but the last one I did was a youngs one, I think as a first kit you will be surprised how good it is..

:thumb:

You have done exactly the correct thing. Think you may have been confused by reading around extract as opposed to kit brewing (I've never done extract).
My 5 youngs kits have all been excellent doing similar to what you describe, in fact I'm sure you want to mix and dilute the concentrated wort with the boiling water before diluting to 20-23 litres.

Definitely click the airlock (but don't worry if it doesn't bubble cO2 takes the easiest route.

Enjoy - and be aware the APA packs quite a hop punch (some people have used less than the full dry hop).

From almost everything I've read, the effects hot-side aeration were greatly overplayed years ago,but have been found to make no discernible difference to your beer.

Relax, it'll turn out great.

If you're referring to hot side aerating it is normally a concern when transferring your boiled wort from the kettle to fermenter.. Even at home brew level transferring that with slashing a lot of people debunk it. what you would have done is tiny mix up of extract and boiled water it will be fine, I think most kits advise you stir up boiled water with the extract anyway to help mix it up before diluting it

Good job hot side aeration has been debunked else i'd be fecked. I just chuck my near boiling wort into my no chill FV with a jug.

I was worried that, as my bottles appeared to have big clump of sediment at the bottom, that the yeast had given up and the bottle wouldn't be carbonating......so I went ahead and opened one of the smalller bottles in the batch to see how it's getting on.....have to say I was mightily impressed at the taste.....it's only had 9days warm conditioning in the airing cupboard and so it still a bit hazy but the taste is lovely!! Just the right amount of carbonation too......this weekend it will have had 2 weeks in the warm and so will move to the garage to cold condition for another couple of wks (if I can keep my hands of them!)

A week later and I've cracked another open to see how its going, disappointing to note that its still as cloudy as 1 week ago...also, the aroma appears to have diminished slightly - still tastes pretty decent though

WP_20160429_22_30_25_Pro.jpg

Latest posts

Back