Building a bespoke home bar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
Right I'm thinking of building me a bar to hold all the kegs nothing to big or fancy now I have swmbo,s permission to,thinking that as I'm not a joiner I'm gonna build an 18 mm MDF carcass around 1200 long 440 wide and 1100 high and clad it with some left over 4 sided clik floor laminate horizontally to match the study floor then top it off with an overhang of kitchen laminate worktop,has anyone any experience of building one with as you go pictures as could do with a few pointers

thought I would give an update on my build effort so far, what you see is the bar/cellar which is more or less finished apart from the sides to be primed and top coated the work top which was a freeby needs to be edged with the iron on tape and screwed down and the full size mural which is ordered and just waiting for my approval to slap across both the doors.total cost for the bar/cellar to me up to yet a few quid shy of £100.if I say so myself I am very pleased with it bespoke to fit 3 cornies.2 king kegs and the pub gas bottle.the thing im really pleased about is swmbo letting me give it house room,when it is fully finished(soon I hope) I will update a picture once more

bar 1.jpg

bar 2.jpg

bar 3.jpg

So is that just holding them at ambient? No cooling or thermal protection in there?

Awesome build nonetheless mate.

So is that just holding them at ambient? No cooling or thermal protection in there?

Awesome build nonetheless mate.
Yep but if you look at the top picture you will see my flash cooler on the bar which is a fantastic bit of kit and IMO better than a Cornelius maxi chiller,4 minutes and you can have the beer down to as much as 3°
Highly reccomended

where you get the flash chiller from

https://www.ich-zapfe.de/
A German company who get their stock of them from the Czech republic, still around £260 delivered including delivery and exchange rate of pounds to Euros which I did it all by PayPal.fairly straight forward in ordering even if they speak a foreign tongue to us as English is the worlds business language anyway

latest update .half painted ready for the mural which is the one pictured to fit right on the two doors full size.getting there.the verticle line in the image is where the doors join

IMG_20160527_194456568[2].jpg

357 A-1[1].jpg

Great stuff. I love seeing threads like this. Real inspiration for when I have the space. Never come across a flash chiller, but love the sound of it.

https://www.ich-zapfe.de/
A German company who get their stock of them from the Czech republic, still around �£260 delivered including delivery and exchange rate of pounds to Euros which I did it all by PayPal.fairly straight forward in ordering even if they speak a foreign tongue to us as English is the worlds business language anyway

Any idea how much juice these use? Do you turn it on before you need a beer and how many kegs can you run from it. Sorry if you have answered these questions before. As usual i am dithering over what to buy for my kegs. Been thinking of a 50cm x 50cm freezer with a wooden collar, should get 4 corny's in there.

Amazing - now first off I just need a house rather than renting - then fiancée has promised I'm allowed some space to homebrew (read as we live in a small rented house and she's fed up of all the stuff in the kitchen)

Any idea how much juice these use? Do you turn it on before you need a beer and how many kegs can you run from it. Sorry if you have answered these questions before. As usual i am dithering over what to buy for my kegs. Been thinking of a 50cm x 50cm freezer with a wooden collar, should get 4 corny's in there.
Thses flash coolers use very little juice as when you switch on before pulling a pint it will run for no more than 5 minutes depending on how far you set the chill dial on the front,I calibrated mine as they are not calibrated so you just go 10 o'clock thru to 8 o clock calibrating with a digital thermometer and it ain't far away from those self settings every time,it then will cut in and out a few times an hour for a minute or so.the unit runs on 115 watts per hour so miles cheaper to run than a maxi and is more or less instant chilled beer. Again I highly recommend them and if you have a spare £260 then go for it but in retrospect I would have spent the other £50 and had a two tapline model
PS if you want to run more than one keg you need the two tap pygmy 25 litre model and bear in mind that after use overnight the beer left in the lines will taint so you usually have to pull an egg cup full off the next evening over 12 hours though its generally ok

update for beercat.just run the cooler for an hour in the 6 o'clock position,it ran for4 minutes and 20 seconds before I pulled the first pint pulled another and drank the beer at 6.6 degrees and that's cold.... and it ran for 6 minutes during that hour.do the maths at 115W per hour average price of a kilowatt around 16 or so pence an hour? cheap as chips and the cornelious maxi is an also ran bringing up the rear at the races.plus it isnt prone to leaks like the maxi and is much more quite.done the selling bit now but it is a fantastic bit of kit.and once again many thanks to Fore on here for bringing it to my attention

That sir, is very good. I like that a lot, very neat and love the mural on the front. Is it a sticker that you can get online? I really like the tap and drip tray on the side. Very impressed, you must be very pleased with your efforts.

Jas

That sir, is very good. I like that a lot, very neat and love the mural on the front. Is it a sticker that you can get online? I really like the tap and drip tray on the side. Very impressed, you must be very pleased with your efforts.

Jas
the mural was a mix and match bespoke one from a company called maxs murals I think they are based in Poland and is a vinyl print that's pasted on with wallpaper paste but is washable.cost delivered ���£45.you can have them self addesive peel back for an extra fiver and in retrospect wish I had done that as they have more of a canvas feel and I did mess them about a bit:whistle:http://www.maxmurals.co.uk/ highly recommended if anyone else uses them
as regards the tap and drip tray on the side its something that I knocked up before I retired as a fabricator/welder and originally it was hooked at the top to drop over a cornie shoulder,with the driptray off an old one cup kettle boiler fixed down with industrial strength double sided tape.
just waiting on the bullet castors from hong kong as ive got it fitted with glides but its a bit too heavy when all the kegs are full

here is my effort as a finished bar/cellar/brewery,not quite finished inside as its still bare mdf but im overall pleased with it for just short of �£120 :party::cool::cheers:

How do you get the king keg to work in the bar as I love the idea

How do you get the king keg to work in the bar as I love the idea
basically im a fiddling inquisitive type of guy
top image is how the beer out line goes to the tap
second top how it connects to a sparkler tap which is threaded I discarded the sparkler gizmo the fitting is from tool station and are ��£1.98 each so two for both KKs
3rd image is the widget to gas the kk £20 each :oops:,i tend to force carb them and the only way to do this is to modify the S30 so i threw away the rubber off the inside and then I soldered the blow off hole on the outside up
last image is a spare S30 nut which if you are running two KKs like I do you have to stop the gas escaping,its ok if you leave the widget connected to the keg as the gas cant escape but for the other KK I sawed a bit of the thread off an old S30 valve about two threads long screwed it in the spare nut and again soldered over the top to make what is effectively a stop cap with a rubber inside so I charge the KK up to around 20psi with the widget then quickly unscrew it and put the bespoke stop cap on it which seals the S30 from any escape of the C02
as I said at the top of this post im a fiddler with an inquisitive mind

king keg beer out line to tap[1].jpg

sparkler tap connected to beer out with female adapter[1].jpg

Widget[1].jpg

spare S30 nut 2[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back