Partial mash- witbeer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albion

Reaction score
1kg maris otter
500g wheat malt
500g wheat DME

75 min- 22g saaz+ 3g centennial
15 min- protofloc
10 min- 10g coriander seeds + 15g dried orange peel.

Left to cool while I have the kids for the day, will pitch wb-06 later

Hit target gravity of 1045 after diluting and with about 10l in pan. Much more grub in pan after cooling this time!

Very nice. I'm going to do the Greg hughes one at some point, with the extra addition of chamomile, which is apparently a traditional ingredient in wits. No idea how much it will add.

Was thinking of using the wyeast forbidden fruits, can't recall if that's the one gh recommends or whether I read about it somewhere...

Just realised that when brewing I used cardamom seeds instead of coriander! Tasted fine when bottling though. Should be interesting.

Just realised that when brewing I used cardamom seeds instead of coriander! Tasted fine when bottling though. Should be interesting.

Cardamom pods are about 10 times the size of coriander seeds... How did you confuse the two haha?

at first the cardmom flavour was overpowering and I thought I had bollocksed this, but then it dropped bright and mellowed and is perfectly drinkable, although not my finest hour.

Was thinking of using the wyeast forbidden fruits, can't recall if that's the one gh recommends or whether I read about it somewhere...

I *think* that WY3944 is the primary Hoegaarden strain and the Forbidden Fruit strain is used in Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit (strangely enough :smile:) which is a Grand Cru. The FF strain must be more alcohol-tolerant and IMO from drinking both, more fruity.

I *think* that WY3944 is the primary Hoegaarden strain and the Forbidden Fruit strain is used in Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit (strangely enough :smile:) which is a Grand Cru. The FF strain must be more alcohol-tolerant and IMO from drinking both, more fruity.

Never had the ff grand cru. Don't ever recall seeing it anywhere tbh. I'll go traditional I think and use the 3944. Thanks for the tip off.

Latest posts

Back