Riwaka Pilsner pale is on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm bucking the trend for my own brewday thread and am going to post individually about my brews. 'Whatever', I hear you all cry. I can literally smell the indifference.

Actually what I can smell are these goddam riwaka hops. MAN THEY STINK.

There's some underlying fruity goodness but mostly it's like a barnyard. Made the wife have a sniff, she nearly vomited. I'm hoping that tempers a bit in the brew. (The hops not the vomit)

Anyway, recipe is here:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62134

It's essentially a very light Pilsner base with lots of citrus hops on top.

Mash is on, had to fanny about with temps as it didn't drop to the 66 I wanted after adding grain (should have trusted biabcalculator.com), and hops etc are weighed out

Did a bit of water adjustment, 26ml ams and 9g Dwb. Mmmm, dwb.

Off to sanitise the fv now, and have a nice cup of tea (Darjeeling, of course. it is Sunday).

Photo of the stinky hops weighed out, as visual interest for this otherwise dull post. Edit..upside down as usual, well they are from down under...

More to follow lovelies!

wwwwwwwwwwww.jpg

Yum, you make it sound so appealing. So you just using 100% pilsner malt?

Edit: Derp, just clicked recipe link

BTW, learn2assam, darjeeling=lelz

Last edited:
Get down with the kids blud.

Does your missus dislike the smell of hops? Every time I've gave mine a whiff of something that I think smells amazing, she always says "smells like feet". Nice.

Of course she does. She hates everything to do with brewing. I know not all ladies are like that of course. But she is.

Mash done now, sparged with about 4L to get 20L in the kettle, 15L in fv hopefully.
Gas ran out just now but being a good Boy Scout behave a reserve tank. Amazing how long they last.

Nice day here. Might get some lettuces planted out while boil is going on

Another photo, this one wee wee inducing

gggggggggggggggg.jpg

In more than one sense :lol::lol::lol:

In more than one sense :lol::lol::lol:

Oi you tart. A charity made a decent wadge from those hops.

This beer better be bloody brilliant Steve or I'll be round your house while you're sleeping.

All done anyway. Pitched us-05 at 21c after the FO hops had a good steep.

This is my last brew now til Summer's over, this and the patersbier plus the few bottles of other stuff I've got are going to have to see me through.

Oi you tart. A charity made a decent wadge from those hops.

This beer better be bloody brilliant Steve or I'll be round your house while you're sleeping.

Im a big lad so you better be bigger :lol:

I no it sounds daft but they taste as strong as they smell! have you ever smelt anything like that Gareth?

Im a big lad so you better be bigger :lol:

I no it sounds daft but they taste as strong as they smell! have you ever smelt anything like that Gareth?

Nope. Pretty unique.

I'm a 5'10" and 11 stone, but I've got quick hands. And I know kung fu.

Forgot to add vital stats to the brew day thread.

Hit OG just about spot on with 1050, Brewers friend predicting 1051. I had about 1.5L more wort than expected. I think I had more as I was working on my usual calculations, but I normally only use leaf hops, so I think I lost less to the pellets. I chucked the extra though as it was like liquid manure with all the pellet sludge and break material.

The wort in the fv was very cloudy, Im putting that down to having to scrape hop sludge off the bazooka filter to keep the wort running, which pushed a load of the sludge through. Not convinced about pellets but we'll see. Got to dry hop with them yet, presumably they will turn into a bag of glop?

Hope you like it mate i really do, and it was a good auction with a couple of pms from people that didnt want to post on the open forum i think we raised around 150 pounds for cancer research your a good bloke and glad you won and hope you love the smelly little buggers :thumb:

What was this auction? Did I miss this or was it before my time?

Yes. Steve got some stinking rotten riwaka hops,told everyone they were great and really hard to get hold of and made us bid with a charity donation for them. I won. Hence this beer.

I'm jesting, I was glad to win them and happy to make the donation, before Steve defriends me for life.

Yes. Steve got some stinking rotten riwaka hops,told everyone they were great and really hard to get hold of and made us bid with a charity donation for them. I won. Hence this beer.

I'm jesting, I was glad to win them and happy to make the donation, before Steve defriends me for life.

Its clibits fault ps im banned again see you on the other side my friend

Take care

Well, all you doom-mongers who are frightened of a bit of riwaka need to grow some!

A nice 1-inch krausen and blabbing airlock which is giving off the most wonderful pungent grapefruit aroma. Smells like my perfect beer right now. In fairness it is stinking out the area by my under the stairs cupboard, more so than most other things I've brewed, but it smells great.

Looking forward to lobbing in the remaining 35g of riwaka to really up the stinky ante!

Yum yum!

Latest posts

Back